SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrydi_gw

Induction stovetop / canning - Why not?

countrydi
13 years ago

We're doing a total gut-and-remodel of the kitchen, including an island induction stovetop. An old Kenmore (15 years?) induction stovetop came with the house, along with a gas stovetop. I've quit the gas after falling in love with the induction, so I have no doubt about choosing induction.

I've always stuck with gas for water-bath canning, though, assuming that my graniteware canner wouldn't work on induction. Last week, I learned otherwise ... worked like a charm! Faster, cooler, nice.

But I've since read here and elsewhere that doing so is a no-no, and I'm not sure why. Some folks guessed it was a weight on a glass top issue, but it it? Someone else mentioned enamel melting, but my Le Crueset enamel works great. I can't find anything definitive.

I can a fair amount, so now I'm worried. Can anyone advise on specifics of why I shouldn't use a water-bath canner on an induction stovetop? It worked on an 8.5" element, and the new stovetop will have an 11" element, which would be a more appropriate fit.

I don't want to maintain two stovetops. And outdoor canning is out ... it's 100 degrees in the shade here and I've zero interest in hanging out in the heat over a steaming canner.

Thanks for any help.

-di

Comments (2)