SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mare_wbpa

Worried about impending crash

mare_wbpa
13 years ago

Computer is 4 yr old Compaq Presario 180 HD, 512 memory, Windows XP Home OS. Lately it has been locking up and twice wouldn't shut down. I pulled the plug and restarted using F8. I ran a Malwarebytes scan and also ran C Cleaner, nothing untoward showed up. I also did a disc cleanup, and defrag, when I was starting the defrag I got a message that I had only 14% free space on the D drive and 15% free space was needed to defrag. The C drive has 80% free space. I have my pictures and music files backed up on a DVD but would hate to lose a lot of my other files. I saw a Click Free external hard drive demoed and was impressed, easy to used compared to other external hard drives which I've heard are complicated. I was wondering tho, if I back up my whole machine on the Click Free then later install the files on another computer, will I be transferring a virus, if one is present on my current machime. Also was wondering about the ability to transfer the whole computer from an XP os to Windows Vista or 7, since they would probably be the OS on a new machine. Hope I was clear enough. Sorry if I was not. TIA for any help anyone can provide.

Comments (6)