SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

week of worry about my kitty

bonniepunch
18 years ago

Last week I woke up to find my kitty (Ham) blind in one eye and the second eye becomming affected with the same problem. He has kidney failure, and one common complication of kidney failure is high blood pressure. One thing high blood pressure can do is cause detached retinas, bleeding, and other problems. His blood pressure had been fine before, but this sudden blindness was a very bad sign. His vet took him in right away, and his pressure was 250 (normal is 150)!! So into the kitty hospital he went for a day, for some fast acting drugs and observation, and then he came home to wait and see what happened.

Today I took him in to the vet and his pressure was back to 150 - that was such a relief! So he responds well to his new blood pressure medication, and he has to wait and see what will happen with his eye - he'll probably be permanently blind in that eye, but there is a chance it may heal and he'll be ok. I'll know that in a month or so.

This is one tough kitty! He is now on 6 different prescriptions and a special food, and he's happy as a clam - except for when he crashes and has to get hauled in to stay at the vet. So far that's only happened twice, and he's bounced back so well that it's hard to tell he's terminally ill. If I keep my fingers crossed maybe he'll get another summer outside in his favourite chair!

BP

Comments (4)