SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Best security for my mom's PC

jenn
15 years ago

My mom is 79 and still very capable and independent. She does her best to keep up with email and views an occasional web site we send her or does a little on-line shopping, but she's not a heavy computer user or web surfer, nor does she care to be. My brother set her up with online banking but she prefers to pay her bills the old-fashioned way. She likes to keep things as simple as possible. We'd like to keep her set-up running as smooth, simple, and as safe as possible. This means striking a balance between optimum security and maintaining a simple, user-friendly experience for her.

Her PC is approx. 2 years old and runs Vista.

A few weeks ago we downloaded the free Zone Alarm for her. Now she is getting the pop-ups asking if she wants to allow or deny access to sites, and doesn't know what to do with each one. Now I'm tempted to remove it and let her use the Windows firewall instead, but I'm concerned about potential vulnerabilities.

At that time, we also fixed an issue with her Windows Email that would not allow her to send mail. That's working now, but I'm considering getting her a Gmail account to use instead. She'd need to connect via browser and learn a new tool, but she is capable of that and I think it would be safer.

I'm wondering if she needed ZA at all. Can anyone explain the basics she needs to let her enjoy staying connected in a simple fashion but also keep her safe? We live about an hour away so I can't just drop by around the corner to check and fix things -- and she'll want to give up if things get even a little bit complicated.

Comments (7)