SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aaron2005_gw

Subfloor..1/2 plywood..then Ditra?

aaron2005
16 years ago

I am redoing our "middle bathroom" (full bath..but not the master bath) and going to tear out the existing 4"x4" tile floor. I believe (based upon the other bathroom) that I have, on top of the subfloor, a 1/2" plywood laiment that is at least "screwed" into the subfloor (I don't know if it was also glued). If the plywood isn't too bad, I plan on leaving it attached. What I have read on these forums is to use Ditra to help as a water proofing for the floor.

My question: I like the idea of having some extra plywood on top of the subfloor for the extra stability; and I like the idea of having Ditra water proofing for the floor. I guess the question is: Do I need Ditra for the bathroom floor? Should I take out the screwed and ONLY put the Ditra down prio to the tiling?

The only negative I see is that the hallway floor may not be the same height after adding the 1/8" Ditra...but I haven't measured this yet.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

For our kitchen we added 5/8" plywood screwed and glued and that was perfect. We didn't add Ditra. However, given that this is a bathroom, I guess I am looking more for the waterproofing aspect.

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment (1)