SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

What to do about huge threshold height difference?

piscesgirl
10 years ago

Our installer just finished installing the master bathroom tile floor and threshold. I am realizing now that there is a huge difference between the carpet and the marble floor. (measures about 1.25") Currently the carpet is taped down but even after we fluff it up it still is probably a 1" difference.

The height difference is so large that I can see about a half inch of mortar and the orange DITRA.

Bathroom floor is subfloor, plywood underlayment, heated floor mat, DITRA and then tile. Subfloor, 1/2" plywood underlayment and DITRA are under the threshold as well.

Bedroom floor is subfloor, hardwood floor (3/8" thick), carpet padding and carpet.

We were thinking at some point we may want to take out the carpet and have the old hardwood floors refinished but now I am concerned that we have a tripping hazzard and if anything we need to beef up the carpet and padding.

Husband thinks we can just add some quarter-round in front, which will help hide the morar and sub-floor materials but doesn't eliminate the height difference.

Current threshold is a 4" wide double bevel threshold...not sure if a long tapered threshold would be better but I am also thinking that would be harder to find to match our flooring.

Any suggestions on what to do here? I attached a picture.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living