SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elr_ctr

Shower Stall

elr_ctr
15 years ago

What started as 2 small cracks coming out from our shower drain (that my husband wouldn't take seriosly) is now 18 months later several larger cracks. We have also noticed small amounts of water damage beside the shower. We have a set up where it is the bathtub then a half wall to divide then the shower then the bathroom wall. We called the home warranty people who told us it would be atleast 3000 to fix (not covered by the warranty)this including tearing out the shower and walls around and starting over. He agreed the damage might be from the shower door leakage rather than the cracks, since the only sign of damage was on the walls right beside the shower door. We know for sure that water runs down onto the floor/wall area when the shower door is opened. But still said he would have to tear everything out. Since we are trying to sell the house, time of the repair and cost are both a concern, so my husband decided to call bathfitters. They came and said that the water damage is mostlikely from leakage around the front of the shower and the repairs from it would be necessary but cosmetic. The damage does not even extend to the other side of those walls. He even said that if for some reason it was from the cracks it was not something that would need the walls torn out. Once they resolved the problems with the cracks that there we would be back to the cosmetic fixes since there is only 2 small areas of water damage by the door to the shower. That we would then need to either get a new shower encasement or go with an l-rod and curtain. I looked at pictures and talked to the realator. The realator said it would be better with the new encasement. But would be acceptable with the Curtain and honestly that was going to save us a good bit of money, so we went that route. He also assured us that other than needing to remove adhesive residue that the surrounding marble would be fine. I was also assured that there would be no need for a support pole for the shower rod (I was very specific that if it required that we would not be going that route. Cheap or not we need it to look nice to perspective buyers and I though that would make it look that much worse). I wasn't here for installation and wasn't happy when I got here. Problem one - there is a notch in the marble top of the half wall between the bath and shower, which I was assured wouldn't be there. Problem 2 - They installed a support for the shower rod. Problem 3 - there is discoloration. I would like to hear any comments about (1) what I can do about the discoloration on the marble and (2) if what they told us about the water damage seems right. I honestly wish we had just let the contractor fix it to begin with, but was trying to save some money and time. Now I have a large chunk involved and can't seem to get it done properly not to mention that it is dragging on and on instead of the quick one day fix I was led to believe was possible.

Comment