SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkietur

Need expert's advice on using marble and travertine mosaic tiles

auzzy
13 years ago

I read Bill's advice and the comments on the John Bridge tile site advising not to use marble, and especially not to use travertine or limestone, on a shower floor. Yesterday I went to two tile shops, which both had the same marble/limestone mix 5/8 inch mosaic tile. Both shops said the pits in the limestone get filled with grout and then sealed and so it's OK to use for a shower floor. But one shop said it wouldn't need resealed for 10 years and another said it would need resealed every 2 years. I really don't want to reseal the floor every 2 years. The tile experts on the forums recommend using ceramic tile for a shower floor but ceramic tiles don't seem to come in a mix of colors. Since my floor tile is a porcelain tile that looks like a cream-colored marble, and the shower wall tile is cream colored glazed ceramic squares, using a cream colored honed ceramic tile for the shower floor seems awfully boring, plus it would need a lighter grout that would tend to show mildew more. So tile experts, what do you think? If the marble/limestone mix has the pits sealed with grout and then is sealed with Stainguard 500, how often would it need to be resealed? The marble mixes that don't include the limestone are too expensive--over $50 sq. ft. compared to $17 sq. ft. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm