SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwerner_gw

Ovens: Miele vs. Advantium + Wolfe

lwerner
11 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide on ovens and am getting a bit stressed. I don't know why, since construction probably won't even start until July. I suppose if I didn't stress about this I'd just find something else. :-)

Here ahe choices I'm thinking of on the ovens, with what I think the tradeoffs might be:

• All Miele: 24" speed oven with 30" trim, plus 30" single wall oven. I really like the fit and finish on these, and their convection ovens have a great rep. Even an appliance salesman who was trying to steer me toward Monogram (more below) said there was no question in his mind that the Mieles are better built. As far as I can tell, the one compromise with this choice is on the speed oven: a bit less full-featured than the advantium (no bottom element, no turntable) and noticeably smaller. Probably still big enough for almost anything I'll cook, though. And I like the MasterChef feature and would probably pay for it on the speed oven, though probably not on the main oven.

• All Monogram: At an appliance store yesterday, as soon as I said "speed oven" the salesguy steered me toward the Monogram Advantium. It looks like a great oven, and I love the turntable and the lower ceramic heating unit. He suggested pairing it with the Monogram single wall oven and maybe the Monogram 42" side-by-side built-in fridge if I want a built-in. My main misgiving here is that it's GE, and every GE appliance I've owned has been a piece of crap. When I mentioned this to the sales guy he said the Monograms were "better built pieces of crap" and that I'd be fine if I bought an extended warranty. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
  • Monogram / Advantium speed oven plus Wolfe single convection oven. I've seen photos of this combination over on the Kitchens forum (from a2gemini, I think?) and they look pretty nice together. Not quite as good as a pair from the same line, but good enough. This would me the fuller-featured (but probably less reliable) Advantium speed oven with a non-GE regular oven. The Wolf seems to have a good reputation on these forums, though CR doesn't like it. (I'm not sure I trust them that much on higher-end appliances, though.)

Did my analysis of those tradeoffs seem reasonable accurate? What am I missing? Are there any other options that I haven't thought of?

For whatever it's worth, I think I've narrowed down most of my choices except the oven:

• Fridge: Counter-depth, french door, 36", from either Samsung or LG. Both get good ratings for quietness, both have the features I want, both seem pretty solid when I mess with them at appliance stores. I had thought about going with a 42" built-in, but I don't want to lose the 6" of counter space and the only built-in I really liked on the inside was the Monogram (it has more room than the others), but it's GE.

• Dishwasher: Bosch 800 series. I have an older Bosch right now and love it, and the newer ones seem even better.
  • Cooktop: Wolf 36" gas. I was leaning toward...

Comments (8)