SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

Feeling ganged up on

cottonpenny
11 years ago

We are partly through our build. Our current project is trying to decide on flooring choices. I am starting to feel like the flooring store lady and builder are ganging up to make me pay more than I should for these choices.

First, there is the carpet. We happened into a Lowes before we even really decided to build and my DH liked Mohawk Smartstrand "Lucky Star". It's reasonably priced at just a touch over our allowance. The same product rebadged "Intelligent Style" is being quoted as about twice our allowance at the flooring store the builder wants us to use. It's a huge difference, like $5k. For the same product. Even though the flooring store has a big red sign in their window that says "115% price match guarantee" they won't price match because it's not the same name.

So I found a place online that will sell me "Intelligent style" for even a little less than Lowes. They won't, however, give me a written quote cause obviously they know I would just take it to the local store. But it's on the website listed at the lower price. My emails asking the flooring store lady and the builder if I could buy the carpet online and have it installed, or buy it through Lowes, have gone unanswered. I looked at literally 20 different other carpets and none are as nice and they are all more expensive.

Second issue is the tile. I wanted AO Catarina that I had seen on here in other people's bathrooms. She told me months ago that the tile was in my allowance which I thought was great. Now she is saying that to install the tile with the manufacturer recommended grout line of 1/8" will incur an extra ~$650 for the shower walls and bathroom floor, versus 3/16" which is their standard. This is roughly a 75% increase in labor charge. I told her I thought it was ridiculous to charge that much for 1/16" difference. Now the builder is saying the charge is for making the studs and joists more level to accommodate the tighter grout joint.

Now today she emailed me that she can no longer get 12x12" AO Catarina, so I either have to pay another $1000 for 18x18" Catarina (and must decide today because it's going to all sell out), or switch to another tile that is not rectified and is even more expensive!

I don't think I'm being difficult or asking for the world that they would match prices I'm easily able to get by doing simple google searches. I am not a construction expert but wouldn't think that the studs being so uneven to not be able to tile with 1/8" grout lines is crazy uneven and shouldn't be built that way in the first place!

Am I being unreasonable? I don't think I am a difficult client but I don't like being taken for a ride. Any advice on how to get out of this mess now?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional