SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
house_vixen

urgent/pics: bill, mongo, all - terrazzo shower base install/prep

house_vixen
15 years ago

Bill, apparently your terrazzo experience is more than the combined experience of those involved in this tale...any advice (including "start drinking") welcome! TIA to all.

1905 house.

Mr Vix and I demo'd the majority of our bath 6+ weeks ago and have had GC etc in and out since then.

Yet when the terrazzo base finally arrived there was a flurry because our floor slopes pretty significantly by window/base spot, and this would throw off wall tile around room.

I will spare more of the details. Somehow Mr Vix and I are now attempting to address slope situation with loose directions from GC. So we took up pseudo-sub floor, installed Hardibacker, and last night put 1st batch of Lacticrete Self-Leveler down.

Mr Vix currently complaining about consistency being too thick and he intends to water down 2nd batch. I am opposed to this and state that consistency seemed fine in bucket, we were just too slow getting it poured in and it took on peanut buttery feel. [May I interject that this is why we hired a GC? So we wouldn't repeat kitchen reno fun?]

So basically: WTH are we supposed to be doing?

Ideally we get base area level, then plumber mortars the base to fill voids, then Mr Vix and crew get in a 500 lb base even though no one has any idea of how that latter is going to happen, yes?

Signed, wishing we'd thrown money at KGW/Lisa's terrazzo-esque Corian base....

Area for 500 lb terrazzo shower base -- after floor taken up

Hardibacker + 1st batch of Lacticrete Self-Leveler (to try to even out slope of room)

Comments (9)