SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mn_lawn_warrior

I'm about to tile - Insulation/Vapor Barrier question

16 years ago

We are in the process of re-tiling our bathroom and I have completed a complete gut of the existing shower space...well, almost a complete gut. I removed the existing tiled shower walls by cutting into the greenboard (I think) about 8 inches above the top row of tiles, and ripping out the entire wall of tiles. This exposed the studs behind...and also exposed the fact that there was nothing else there. No insulation (there aren't any exterior walls), no vapor barrier...nothing. Just a bunch of rusty nails!

So after searching this forum for a bit, I learned about installing insulation between the studs, and the vapor barrier (6 mil poly) between the studs and the cement board. However, my question is the space above the gutted area that I left untouched since it won't be tiled and therefore did not need to have the greenboard removed (there's about 2 ft to the ceiling). Can I just add insulation/poly to the area that will be covered by cement board/tile, or will that just create more moisture issues above this area? Should I rip the remaining greenboard out to the ceiling and put insulation/poly/cement board all the way to the ceiling even if we don't tile the entire area?

Or should I just install the cement backer board directly to the studs (no insulation, no poly) and take my chances?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment