SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

Garlands and Wreaths- Show your pics

alex9179
15 years ago

I've put up some of my decorations and I've only had to redo the one on the fireplace mantle. I'm kind of nature themed without really having a theme :)

{{gwi:1449665}}

{{gwi:1449666}}

{{gwi:1449667}}

href="http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/alexryan9179/?action=view¤t=Christmas2008003.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1449668}}
{{gwi:1449669}}

{{gwi:1449670}}

{{gwi:1449671}}

Comments (49)

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

They are gorgeous. I love what you have done with the silver chalice thing and the spherical whatever. It balances out perfectly.

Linda

• alex9179
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm leaving room for our Christmas cards on the mantle, so I only put one thing there. I thought it was kind of pretty, thank you :)

• Related Discussions

Garden Wreath in Progress (pic)

Q

Comments (8)
    Susie - Great idea! I could make the middle hole larger on a few more and place the flower pot in the middle! that was look great! Great idea. I have a forest full of tree branches to play with. I love that idea! Thx so much. If it ever turns to spring, that's exactly what I'll do. (Have to wait for a temporary thaw tho so I can go wrestle me up some more branches and slice them up with my handy saw zaw.
    ...See More

Garland and Wreath Made out of Marshmallow Peeps

Q

Comments (11)
    Oh, Minnie, I missed the thing on your Valentine cookies-- is there a link lurking around here yet regarding that? Would be fun to see. I, too, have absolutely no idea how they'll hold up. I don't know whether the varnish will yellow them at all, or whether they'll either go really hard or get squishy. Time will tell, I guess. :-)
    ...See More

Do you have a wreath on your front door?

Q

Comments (32)
    If you click the little link next to source under the picture it should take you to the page. LOVE Pinterest. :) But I included it below too. If anyone finds other chimes like this I would love to know. I think it would be nice to hear a pleasant sound upon entering the house in all 4 seasons :) Maybe I am deluding myself and my kids will always just remember the sound of our stupid alarm saying " front garage door", front patio door" Drives me nuts :) Here is a link that might be useful: holly chime
    ...See More

Show us your holiday wreath!

Q

Comments (7)
    I have bronchitis, so am on 'light duty'. I'm sharing a pic from last year which shows the wreaths I made for my doors and windows from clearance wreaths from Joann Fabric, brass (real brass) clearance horns, ribbon that I ordered online, white pine cones from my yard, local grapevine that I wove in among the faux greenery, and I cut some faux white pine greenery from a garland and wired that in, to fill them out a bit more. Peeking out the door is Rooney on the left, and Ginger on the right; two of My3Dogs.
    ...See More
  • bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Very beautiful. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. It is so pretty, but I wish I could see it better. I have a similar looking silver dish . Hmmmm.....
    Betty

• oreos_mom
    15 years ago

Very nice alex. I love the garland on the fireplace !

Susan

• donnawb
    15 years ago

Very pretty!

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

very very pretty Alex - did you start out with plain garland and then pretty it up. I do my screened in porch in a woodsy,nature theme. We are bird lovers and each year have bluebirds nest on our property. I keep the birds nests and put them in a tree on the porch along with hydrangera blossoms, berries, ect.

I love what you did inside - thanks for sharing ....

Lynne

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Very pretty!!!! Ohhh someone said that already!! I love it.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You all are such an ego boost! I'm not as good at this kind of thing as others I've seen, but I like what I do better every year :) Thanks for the kind words!

The silver thing is a flea market find, with someone's initials engraved on it. It holds the big glitter ball perfectly. I have no idea what its original purpose was.

I do use the plain, cheap garland and add bunches of stuff to it. A lot of it I got for 90% off at Hobby Lobby's fall clearance last week. I just build off of what I already have.

I downloaded the pics on the medium size, is the large better? Here is another of the entry garland and one of the guest bath. Hard to get pics of the bath, not much room!
    {{gwi:1449672}}
    {{gwi:1449673}}

• socal_nett
    15 years ago

I love how you curled the ends of the ribbons on the mantle and wreath. I really like your nature theme, very inspiring

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Ok this is OT for this forum but the gardener in me has to ask - What is that pretty pink shrub that is blooming and what zone are you in?? - I see you still have geraniums blooming so you have got to be at least zone 8 or 9 - love your entry way garland - you are giving me ideas for my back porch - thanks for sharing again .....

Lynne

• alex9179
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynne, the color is off but the plant you're referring to in a red penta. I'm in Zone 9.

In the same bed I have elephant ears, red hibiscus (currently blooming), Louisiana copper plant, and a tapioca plant. This is a fairly new zone for me, coming from Missouri, and I still can't get over the fact that I have a bunch of blooms in my yard and it's almost December!

Pretty Hibiscus, photo taken today.
    {{gwi:1449674}}

• mo13
    15 years ago

Alex,
    Wow! Very pretty. How do you get the ribbons to stay in whatever shape you want them? Do you have to use ties? And the hibiscus in November!! I am completely envious - I just spent a couple of hours in the cold cleaning out all my brown perennials!! :) I love hibiscus - thanks for the pic.

Mo

• cattknap
    15 years ago

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Alex, I really love what you've done with all your garlands, especially the one on the mantle. Love those big bows on the ends. Where do you find lots of ribbon for those at a reasonable price if I may ask? I'm a former Missourian too, now in So. Calif. where my roses and other plants bloom year round too. Just wish I had a better green thumb. ;o)

Cattknap, I always love your decor. Really like the garland with the roses and beaded fruit on your mantle. Heard you were moving out of California, have you done that yet? Sure looking forward to pictures of your new home too--you had fixed your Calif. one up so nicely.

Luvs

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Alex - thanks for the ID on the plants. I have pentas too....in the summer....had to pull thenm out about a month ago and they don't grow nearly as big.

catknap - love your wreath and mantel - beautiful.....

Lynne

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

alex..just beautiful. I love how you mixed everything in to the garlands and also loved how you added the ribbon to it all..Very elegant.

catnip..your's is so beautiful as well. I love your door display with the Santa face and your mantel came out beautiful.
    jane

• alex9179
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful Cattknap! I especially like the wreath with the fruit.

Luvs, I get ribbon when it goes on clearance. The one on the mantle garland I've been reusing for 5 years or so. The "bow" is one small one with a couple of tails at different lengths stuffed in there to give it fullness. Totally cheating!

• User
    15 years ago

Ooooo. Alex you've been very busy! Love all the pics! I wasn't going to decorate my green garland but the more I look at everyone's pics it's becoming a must.

How do you get it to stay in place? I was trying to put some on top of my entertainment stand last night and was having a heck of a time. On my DH hutch I used those command strip hooks but it wasn't working with the e. stand. How do you guys do it?

• alex9179
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I put little nails on each end of the mantle, on top where no one will see. There was already a gap where the corners join, so I didn't damage anything. For the mirror I used a tack (the longer kind) at both ends and in the middle for the wreath. It's an old frame and pretty beat up already. There's no way anyone would be able to tell!

• donnawb
    15 years ago

Beautiful Cattknap. Love the Santa in the wreath.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Very, very pretty ladies!! It must feel good to have one job finished. ;o)

• mo13
    15 years ago

Here is my kitschy homemade wreath. I make a wreath every year and every year the wreath and the making process is the source of jokes for DH but I shall keep trying! :)

{{gwi:1449676}}

And I made the elf guy last year - even I am not sure what I was thinking when I made him so big! I was at home after a minor surgery and this seemed like the thing to do to my drug induced brain, I guess. Since he was already there, I made him ugly clothes this year.

Mo

• Sandi_W
    15 years ago

Alex & Cattknap, Oh, wow, everything is just gorgeous. Both of you ladies are so talented.

And Mo, I love your little primitive looking wreath and elf. And his clothes are NOT ugly! He's cute.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Mo, I like your little elf too. And he looks pretty cute sitting in his little chair with his present. Your wreath looks nice too. Is it made of various ribbons or Christmas fabrics. Next year, tell your DH it's his turn to make a wreath! LOL

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

I love that elf. I don't think he's at all too big. Like his clothes too.
    Now, tell us the story connected with the chair on which he is sitting. Is it a special chair?
    OA

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Here is my mantle this year.
    I used to put green garland and lots of red and gold but decided this year on a white and silver theme without garland. It makes a change after 20 years.

{{gwi:1449677}}

• Sandi_W
    15 years ago

lyban, Your mantel is very pretty. I love the white and silver with the red. I also love your silver trees and the wreath hanging on the mirror. You did a wonderful job decorating.

• User
    15 years ago

Love all the beautiful mantels and wreaths!

Catnap, would you mind telling me where you got that beautiful red and green striped ribbon? It is EXACTLY what I need for a specific room.

Again, beautiful, ladies :)

• mo13
    15 years ago

OA,
    No interesting story behind the chair, LOL. It was part of DH's old dining table set before we got married. I just painted one of the chairs a dirty green/red. I had a calla lily on it until fall but it was starting to look ratty and got put in the garage.

Now you see how big the elf is? :) He is about 4 feet tall if you stood him up. I think I used an entire box of cotton stuffing for him.. LOL

Luvs, they are just scrap fabrics mostly and a couple of christmas fabrics.

Mo

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Lyban, is that a feather wreath on your mirror? Sure looks pretty and fluffy and I really like those silver trees and the deers too. Very pretty combination.

Mo, thanks for the info on your wreath. That's a great way to use up leftover fabrics. I love it when people are creative and think of new things. You did good. ;o)

Luvs

• alex9179
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mo, I love your elf! He's the perfect scale for your entry area, much smaller and he wouldn't get your attention.

Lyban, I'm a sucker for that cool icicle look. Your sconces look like they are part of the decoration :) They look perfect with your choices.

• phyl345
    15 years ago

i do garlands in one shape or form all over my house ~ i love them! ~~ personally, i think i get the most bang for my buck cuz i can just keep sticking in as little or as much as i want! ~~ phyl

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/phyllisjoy/christmas/xmas2007078.jpg

• bourbonlady
    15 years ago

Awesome, awesome, awesome....note to self...next year the garlands! I'm now looking at all my garlands....boy I've got a long ways to go! :) This one is new this year....recycled bits and pieces.

Alex

• mo13
    15 years ago

Lyban,
    Love your white feather wreath. I really like the silver and white combo you have going.

Phyl, WoW!! The beads either in garlands or drops really caught my eye in each picture. The green beaded garland in front of the mirror is a great idea. Everything looks simply beautiful!

Mo

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Everyone is so talented. Phy, I love all your garland. It's full as it should be. I especially like the little white birds. So precious.

• Bright199
    15 years ago

I just love all the garlands.. I so need a new camera! I think mine looks alot prettier in person than in the picture.

If you click they should enlarge. My pictures with the lights on at night are way to dark.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Bright, I really like how you did the Nativity scenes. Both sets are so pretty.

Phyl, you definitely got a lot of bang for your buck...those garlands are incredible. I am nuts about the mantle one with the deer. WOW.

hugs, Karen

• phyl345
    15 years ago

gosh, gee whiz, (blush) i'm so pleased you guys liked my pictures ~~ thanks!! ~~

i have rarely posted on this forum ~ cuz i don't do table settings, but i often hang out here; so you don't know me, but i pretty much know all of you! (grin)

phyl

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Ok Phyl, now you've posted... the 'rule' is you can't stop.
    LOL. Hey, I don't do table settings either, but you can see that hasn't slowed me down a bit!

Would you tell me about those fabulous deer standing on your mantle. I love Reindeer figures and those are soooo
    pretty.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Phyl, glad you've enjoyed getting to "know" us, now it's your turn to let us get to know you. We can already tell that you love decorating for Christmas from your pretty garlands--do you decorate for other holidays too? Hope you'll keep joining in, we love reading everyone's comments. Luvs

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I already have my wreath and front entrance posted at the Decorating site, I'll post my picture of our front door wreath.There sure is some beautiful wreaths and garlands posted so far. {{gwi:1449690}}

• brutuses
    15 years ago

bright, I can't get them bigger.

• Bright199
    15 years ago

I know Photobucket has not been working properly lately.
    Here's a link to my album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas decorations

• Bright199
    15 years ago

{{gwi:128911}}

• gasuz
    15 years ago

Beautiful wreaths and garlands!

I also like to keep adding to the garland. This year I moved the nutcracker ornaments that where on a tree last year (that I changed the theme for this year) to my stairway and hallway garland (ha! husband said it wouldn't all fit)

gasuz
    (hope to take pictures soon)

• User
    15 years ago

I see it's really off center...:) I'll fix it tonight!
    {{gwi:1449692}}

Still working on the inside garlands. Bought some lights over the weekend and went crazy during lunch at Michaels buying picks!

• bourbonlady
    15 years ago

Bright, I really like how you incorporated your Nativity into your garland. Very pretty! Alex

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi sheesharee, I really like your front door wreath, very festive looking. It's nice to see you also on Karen's Holiday picture album, I'm there too.

• prosperity66
    15 years ago

Lots of beautiful wreats and garlands here... makes me want to buy (no, I don't do them as I'm not skilled) more Xmas decorations ;-)))

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions