SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrtimewise_gw

Anyone own a Thermador SGSX305FS gas cooktop? Comments?

mrtimewise
14 years ago

We're likely to replace a 9 year old Thermador 30" gas cooktop with a newer Thermador SGSX305FS 30" Masterpiece gas cooktop. Both the new cooktop and the old one have the extra low simmer on a couple burners which we love. (I know some people dislike the "click" restart when on the XLO settings, but this doesn't bother us in the least...I barely hear it, and when I do it confirms the system is working.)

We love the old cooktop but just want to update the kitchen a bit. The biggest features for us are:

- the lighted control knobs (rather than one red lamp that is hard to see at a distance),

- the large center burner for a big pot (the distance between the center of the middle burner and the control knobs is at least 1" more than on a Bosch; and almost 2" more than on a Viking - this allows for a bigger pot),

- the continuous grates for easy sliding of pots and pans between burners (as does the old cooktop),

- the black glass trim around the "front and center" control knobs - this makes the Thermador somewhat match our Dacor MOV230S double oven's design,

- and the wider work surface (our older Thermador has all controls to one side which somewhat narrows the grate surface).

A big plus is that the cooktop can drop right into the opening now cut into our granite counter.

(I sure do wish we had planned for a 36" cooktop when we originally designed the kitchen. But that ship sailed 9 years ago.)

We had only one in-warranty service call on the Thermador presently installed. That was one week after its initial installation. Since then, not a problem.

Anyway, I'm just asking if there have been recent concerns with Thermador's gas cooktop quality. I'm just check all the bases before we plop down $1600 or so for this updated model. Has anyone heard of the glass control panel breaking?

We live near Chicago so service will never be a problem. Besides gas stoves are really simple, and I generally fix things once the warranty expires.

Comments (2)