SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

Appliances & priorities: small kitchen and large fridge?

smaloney
11 years ago

Okay I have thought way too long and hard about fixing up my small galley kitchen and one of the things that is holding me back from finalizing a plan is the issue of the refrigerator. I have to buy a CD fridge at minimum because my galley is narrow (7.5") and is a corridor between the entry to the house and the main living space. I have 2 kids and the CD fridges seem cramped, and with a French door, the freezers seem prone to disorganization (pulling out and poking around that big drawer would be a major traffic hazard for my kitchen.) My house is small and has no garage or basement; someday I may be able to squeeze a small chest freezer into my laundry room, but for now whatever fridge I buy will be it for cold food storage.

So I'm tempted to try to do a built-in; it would have to be a floor model or scratch-and-dent because I can't swing $7 or $8k on a fridge. (I think I could find a floor model for under $5k.) It would save a few extra inches of my narrow aisle, since even the CD models tend to be 29-30" deep with handles whereas a built in would be closer to 27". But I wonder if this seems insane - will it look disproportionate? Will I regret losing a few extra inches of counter space (I should have 8 linear feet of extra countertops in an attached breakfast room.)

And more importantly, is this a silly use of my modest resources? I read on another thread one of the gurus here (please forgive me, I forget who it was, just remember it was someone with vastly more expertise) who aptly pointed out that the point of a kitchen is cooking, and limited resources should be invested in cooking appliances - when it comes to the fridge, there was advice about just finding a box to keep stuff cold. In my house, with my budget, the difference of a couple of thousand dollars would go a long way, and I don't want to look at some crazy behemoth fridge for the next decade if it seems like a huge waste of money.

Anyway, advice here is always thought-provoking. I'd love to hear if others think this is a worthwhile area to sink some funds or if it is unnecessary and nonfunctional for a small kitchen. Thanks

Comments (6)