SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgoddess_01

Christmas tree woes and a 'duh' moment

dreamgoddess
15 years ago

I very industriously went home Friday afternoon and decided to start on my big tree. Instead of just running a few strings of lights around the tree, I decided that I was going to try wrapping the branches. No one told me that this job was such a huge pain and that it took a gazillion strings of lights to do it! I worked Friday night until I had wrapped all the lights that I had.

Got up yesterday morning at 6:30 determined to finish up the lights. I ran out of lights (twice!) and had to go back to WM to buy more before finally getting the whole tree wrapped and lit up. By now, my husband is telling me that this stupid tree can be seen from the space station...it's just that bright. I was so hot that I had gotten a fan and put it where it would blow on me while I was working on the tree. Then my brilliant son comes in and asks if I've got the fan on to keep the curtains from catching on fire from all the lights. By this time I was really getting aggravated and I think I could have cheerfully (maniacally laughing the whole time) choked him.

Ok, so the tree is lit up and everything is going along great. I'm feeling pretty good about the tree lights and decide to go ahead and put the garland on. I start at the top of the tree and get to my second run of garland when I notice that part of one of the strings of lights at the top isn't working. Grrr!!!! I start pulling the strand off the branches to see if I can figure out why it isn't working. I fiddle with it and work with it, but no such luck. I end up taking the whole string off and replacing it with another string. Once again, the whole tree is lit up! Yippee!! I proceed back to putting garland on the tree.

I get to the very bottom of the tree with the last row of garland and I happen to look up. The whole middle section of the tree has gone dark!! I just sat there with this stupid look on my face...I am truly not believing this. By this time I was exhausted...my back hurt, my legs ached and my arms felt like lead. It had taken me a total of 9 hours to put all the lights on the tree and I just wanted to sit down and cry. Visions of having to take all those strings of lights off and having to buy more lights and re-wrap all the branches kept running through my head. By this time I was really close to crying!

Now keep in mind that I started working on the tree at 6:30 in the morning and it's now about 7:00 at night. It's been a REALLY long day between trying to work on the lights, the garland, cooking and then cleaning up the kitchen. Not to mention trips to WM for lights! All this was done with not one single bit of help from anyone in the family!!!

Then dear sweet hubby comes home with his ever so helpful self. Well now Kim honey, did you check all the bulbs to make sure they're in there good? Umm...no dear I didn't go through 900 bulbs to make sure they're in the socket. Do you want to check all 900 of them??? Hm...I didn't think so.

I'm about ready for my padded cell now when he ever so sweetly asks if I'm sure the lights are plugged up. I'd really like to scream at him right about now, but I manage to keep my cool. Gritting my teeth, I say yes dear the lights are plugged up. As I go over to the tree to start trying to figure out where to start taking off lights, I happen to look down. And guess what......the stupid extension cord has gotten knocked half out of the surge protector. When I was fooling with the long strands of garland, I must have somehow knocked it out.

If my husband had cracked the least little bit of a smile, I think I'd probably be sitting in jail this morning.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions