SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6061818

Ohhhh, What a Day! Cabinet woes still unresolved!!!LONG

User
16 years ago

My Kitchen has been "basically" done since right before Christmas, with 2 adjoining bookcases delivered after the holidays BUT all of my issue items have remained untaken care of. Two warped doors, one door with glass that doesn't match the others, missing crown molding,toe kick, shelf for bookcase and undercab trim to hide lites and the biggest one of all the "skin" or veneer for my island(the first one came 8" too short).

Originally some of these items were to be replaces with my second shipment but the company "didn't get around to it".

I've been waiting since the end of December and today the balance of my stuff was coming; this after being postponed from Tues to Wed to today. Actually didn't even think the stuff was gonna come at all.

So delivery guys here at 8am, bring everything in and ready for me to hand over final payment and head out the door. I'm like no way, I am checking each and every item and so I do.

Got the warped doors replaced but I or my GC need to transfer hardware; toe kick, crown shelf(1/4-1/2" too long but will take it) and undercab lite trim, good to go. New corbels-yay! Only one box left, big box, can't imagine what it is but there should be two pkgs left! Open big box and it is (2) sheets of "skin" which was to be (1)4' x 9' pc. The first was to be 4' x 8' and came out to be 88" long, not 96". So cab guy and i decide lets go with a 9' pc that way if they screw up the length i'll still be ok. But now it is in two pcs, meaning there will be a seam right down the middle which I did not want, nor order.

And of course, there is the missing box that should have had my wall cab door with the correct glass. How does a company supply 8 doors with 7 matching and 1 not??? I don't get that from the start, but anyhow no replacement.

Call the cabinet guy and the guy that i have been dealing with all along is not there so i get to deal with the owner.

I spent an hour and a half on the phone with this man.

He expected me to give his guys two of my wall cab doors with the glass in them so he could get the right glass. This is after I have waited ten weeks for all the stuff that was messed up to start!!!

Would you have?

I told him that i had no comfort level with getting my glass any quicker than what it took to get all the stuff today and I was not leaving my kitchen with two doors missing. It is the first thing you see when you walk into my house(including the naked island wall) and it was not gonna happen.

He also told me that i could not get the skin in an 8' length it only came in 4' lengths. Well why did it come almost 8' the first time? Duh?

We went round and round on both of these points for all this time; him saying that i wasn't working with him and he only wanted to do the right thing but to do that i needed to hand over those doors and accept a seamed veneer.

He insisted that i might get the wrong glass again if he didn't have the doors; well why is that? I picked out a certain type of glass and they managed to get it right 7 times just not 8.

It was so frustrating!

At one point his guy, who is still there, says "you're not gonna give me a check are you?", i'm like not until this is all taken care of. So he reports that to his boss who, did not say a thing to me about it.

I was actually prepared to not get anything and have to go the legal route so maybe now I should be a little happy that I've gotten this far? The only thing is the glass was pretty noticeable and I really didn't want a seam running down the middle of the island. So many things were issues with the cabinets, wrong sizes, bow out backs, wracked boxes, warped shelves and for the most part my GC(bro) just made things work by doing extra work.

I just want it to be done and finished.

How it is left is that he thinks he will have it all rectified by Monday...i'm not holding my breath.

And also today we were able to view the damage in our backyard from a tree falling which almost missed the house, just scraped and dented down the side of the siding, crushed a patio set & spewed glass everywhere, damaged alot of pavers but fortunately didn't come directly down on our house. It is a mess, to be sure, so dealing with that.

And, i know, how much in one day, got my problem fridge replaced with a smaller fridge which no longer has the built-in look the other had and it makes me sad, because i soooo wanted the other one to work, it fit well and looked nice. I was too afraid to buy the larger one b/c i was really afraid the clearance would not have worked and my over the fridge cabs would have been history.

Sorry that this is soooo long just needed to vent big time.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that cabinet guy keeps his word.

Thanks for listening.

Comments (7)