SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Simple questions about Avast AV

kudzu9
14 years ago

I don't use Avast myself, but I have a friend who has it on her computer (installed for her by a neighbor). She is very computer illiterate, and she mentioned to me that she was getting messages that her antivirus "wasn't working." When I checked, I saw that Avast needed to have a license key inserted, so I went to the web site and requested a key for the free version of Avast. The key showed up in my email and I inserted it and successfully activated Avast, updated it, and then ran a scan (no infections found). So it's set up, current, and running in the background.

Now to the questions. In the free home version of Avast, do updates occur automatically, or do I have to show her how to go in and manually update the virus signatures? Can scans be scheduled to occur automatically, or is this a manual function also? And, once the program is activated with the license key, does this last indefinitely, or does it have to be renewed periodically?

I'm asking these things because I only visit this friend once or twice a year, and I want to make it as simple for her as possible, knowing her capacity to mess things up if left to her own devices....

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County