SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Question about Kaspersky Int. Sec. and about free antivirus progs

biwako_of_abi
14 years ago

I am thinking of switching from TrendMicro Internet Protection to Kaspersky Internet Security. I see that finchelover was considering a similar decision in Dec., but didn't get many opinions about Kas.--more about Norton and how to get rid of it and what free programs there are. Is anyone here using Kaspersky as their main internet security?

I was impressed by Kas. when fighting a trojan a few weeks ago, especially the fact that its data is upgraded so often, but naturally, cheap or free is a great attraction, so I am wondering how well the free antivirus programs keep up with the constant influx of new viruses, trojans, etc. If they don't get paid, then how are they able to maintain a staff to do the research and programming? Is this a silly question?

Comments (7)

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

Then make it so simple, I don't know how they can afford to pay thier staff.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Here is a link that might be useful: Free - Microsoft Security Essentials

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

the free ones like AVAST, AVIRA etc also have paid versions they make their money from those and are wonderful in that they also offer a free version to help those who can not afford to pay, the free versions have a bit less on them than the paid versions of course. It benefits everyone when each person can have good updated programs on their pc which is why many of the companies do offer a free version.

In pay versions Kaspersky is an excellent choice, it is likely the one I would choose if I used a pay version it or Nod 32.

I personally use AVAST free on my windows machines and feel it is an excellent product. The main thing to remember is layered security so along with your fully updated Antivirus you also need good antimalware programs like malwarebytes and superantispyware which are also free which should be updated and run full scans once a week or so. In addition having spywareblaster is another layer that protects you while online and requires no scans just update it weekly and hit the enable all protection button so the shield is green. And of course a firewall, if you have a properly configured router you have a hardware firewall there protecting you but you should have a software one also, vista and windows 7 have a decent one built in.
    SpywareBlaster
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free

I think you have malwarebytes already?

you will of course have to get Trend Micro fully removed from the pc before changing to any other antivirus program.

as important these days is to make sure everything is kept updated and patched using Secunia tool makes that easy
    Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)

• grandms
    14 years ago

My Avast often updates twice a day on my XP machine. I use WSE on my Win 7 laptop. I also have the other anti-malware programs that Raven suggests.

I am completely satisfied with the protection I have.

• zep516
    14 years ago

How do I uninstall Trend Micro Internet Security Pro and Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 from my computer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Trend-Micro

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

Here's Trend Micro's support page for uninstalling....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/consumer/answerguide.aspx?ag=80

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

New version of MSE released today. Look for the upgrade through your utility, or it can be obtained via this portal.

On the middle of the page is all the defined versions for selection.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: MSE

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

All too often users are not fully informed, inexperienced, or sheep-like in how they blindly follow others in utilizing applications. May I suggest you go to the link below and register. On the toolbar is VB100. Clicking on it will provide a drop down menu. Besides reviewing anything you feel is pertinent, I ask you review the Archive and Recent Test Summary entries.

I think this information will help you make an informed decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virus Bulletin

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!