SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twitchy_gw

Calling all tile guru's. Bill V?

twitchy
16 years ago

Well, DH and I decided to go tile shopping this weekend. We went where our GC suggested. Apparently, these people work on 99% of his customers houses. I'd say the showroom was medium sized. We introduced ourselves as the GCÂs customer and he asked what our budget was. Our tile budget is $3.25 per sq ft for tile. He started pulling boards that were in our budget. I'd say there were about 15 in our budget. But here's the problem. They all looked the same. It seemed every other tile I asked about was over our budget. When DH asked him what made the other tiles better than the tiles in our budget, he kept saying things like "that's from Turkey" or "that's from Italy". Quite honestly, I don't care where it's from as long as we like it and it's in our budget. He had a few boards of Daltile. He had "French Quarter" - which I've seen on their website and really liked. When I asked about the Daltile, he said some thing like - "I just have those boards, I really don't sell that stuff". Kind of like the tile he was pushing was far superior. When we mentioned that we saw quite a few tiles at Lowes, he tried to tell us that buying tile at Lowes would be a problem because the tiles aren't square and the installer might charge more because they wouldn't line up correctly. So here's my question. Is this true? Are the tiles at Lowes that bad? We saw a "Mountain Slate" tile that was perfect. And several American Olean tiles that we liked. I'd really appreciate your opinion on the Lowes tiles. Thanks so much - we really don't know that much about tiles.

Comments (21)