SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Is IKEA Alright for Mudroom & Laundry Cabinets

drjoann
13 years ago

Over on the kitchens forum, I've been seeing lots of lovely kitchens done with IKEA cabinets, including very traditional looks. Right now, our builder has a custom cabinet maker who is doing everything: kitchen, banquette, fireplace built-ins, master bath, bookcases along a keeping room halfwall, etc.

I certainly want the custom cabinets for the "public" areas, plus our master bath. We will get one of those vanities which is a furniture piece for the powder room since it will look nice and is more cost effective. However, the designs from the cabinet maker are, so far, very pedestrian for the laundry & mudroom. I actually like the look of IKEA better and it is probably half the cost.

I'm sure I will tick off the cabinet maker, but it's my house & my budget. I don't really need elaborate cubbies in the mudroom; I need a utility sink to wash small dogs & dump place. Same thing with the laundry - it's big enough, but not huge & I just need it to be functional.

Can you think of any real objections to doing IKEA? I really don't think that would be a make or break for resale.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (26)