SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
industrialdesign_gw

Stainless Steel, black, white- do we need more options?

industrialdesign
14 years ago

I've been reading a lot of posts on the pros and cons of stainless steel appliances. Some people hate them, some love them. A lot of the opinions that people give about whether or not to go with stainless have a note of underlying frustration with the options.

stainless, black, white

It's so constraining.

Why is it that when we install cabinets or even washers and dryers, we have so many options, but when it's a dishwasher, the design options are so limited?

Do you think the lack of choice is because of appliance companies not listening to what people want, or do you think people only need three options?

(and I understand that JennAir has ORB, but for the most part, the options are still pretty much the same)

Comments (42)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Do you think the lack of choice is because of appliance companies not listening to what people want, or do you think people only need three options?

Possibly because way too many people bought avocado green or harvest gold appliances back in the day and people learned their lesson from that? :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Hit post by mistake. Besides I think the trend now is to panel in when you can, and that certainly lets anyone have any look they want. I would love it if totally integrated appliances were as available at the medium/low end here as they are in Europe.

• Related Discussions

What to do if you don't like stainless steel and black?

Q

Comments (30)
    I don't think it's the white color that can disappoint, Florantha, but rather the type of finish these pieces (white or black) can have. Many of the current appliance models have a pebbly painted (or plasticked?) metal surface that, while great for disguising fingerprints in a busy household, doesn't lend itself to either modern sleekness or a period look. I do wish they'd bring back simple, durable enameled finishes - my 1949 white stove is as bright and shiny as the day it was made. And that puppy has been scrubbed daily for ... 62 years now. I agree, peanut. If someone wanted to give me a nice white (or any color, for that matter) Chambers range, I'd be a happy woman indeed. I had one in my first apartment in downtown Salt Lake City many years ago, and I didn't realize how fortunate I was. Lavender - what about a blue Chambers? They're a little hard to find, but they're a great blue that might work well in your kitchen.
    ...See More

Black Stainless Versus Regular Stainless Steel

Q

Comments (24)
    We just purchased all new appliances for our new kitchen and I was considering the black stainless. However, the sales guy advised me against it for all the reasons listed above. He explained how the "finish" is really just a film over stainless steel and showed an example of how it scratches on a floor model. It was enough to steer me away and go for the more traditional stainless. I have had the fridge for about 6 months and it cleans up really well with little to no fingerprint marks. The microwave, dishwasher and stove are being delivered on Saturday. All of my appliances for the past 9 years have been Whirlpool and I have been pretty happy with them.
    ...See More

Kitchen appliance color New Matt black or stainless steel

Q

Comments (9)
    Not a pro here, but I have heard that this is not a uniform finish among manufacturers, so if you want your appliances to match, you will need to buy them all from the same manufacturer. Also, there are some maintenance issues. Apparently the black finish is placed over a stainless steel base and if your surface is scratched, the silver color shows. From an aesthetic point of view, I think your kitchen cabinets are beautiful and black appliances would distract from them. So, I affirm my “vote” for silver stainless steel! But then....I am just one opinion! Good luck!
    ...See More

Black, white, or stainless steel refrigerator with off-white cabinets?

Q

Comments (25)
    OK, so I bought my appliances but haven't gotten them delivered yet since my house is not yet ready, so I can still return something if it turns out to not be good at all. I chose to buy a white top freezer refrigerator with a smooth finish instead of one of those bumpy ones. Stove, dishwasher, and range hood (when I buy it) are all stainless steel. Why? Based on where the stove and dishwasher are in the layout of my kitchen, they are in more or less the same spot on their respective walls of the L-shaped kitchen, offering a symmetrical look. A stainless steel refrigerator, based on its placement in the layout, would look asymmetrical, so I wanted something in a more similar color to the cabinets. After making my purchase, I noticed that Craigslist and Facebook are full of people selling white refrigerators so I wonder if I should return mine and get one of those instead. My parents' neighbors also gave me a side by side white refrigerator that is just the width I need, and the height is fine, so I wonder if I should just use that one, but I don't know how it would be transported into the house.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    14 years ago

I think it would be great if appliances came in more colors, like cars. The brightly colored washer and dryer is a (relatively) new option. I think that people are more likely to pick a candy apple red washer and dryer because it is in a laundry room and not a really "public" area like the kitchen. There are some brightly colored fridges/appliances: (SMEG, Heartland, Big Chill, etc) but they seem to be geared toward the retro or quirky kitchen or, like AGA, LaCornue, etc. the very expensive kitchen.

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Exactly! Retro kitchens are adorable, but most people have more classic/traditional kitchens- family kitchens.
    Where are the options for people with grubby-handed toddlers (or husbands!)? Why does a harmonious put-together kitchen have to equal custom/expensive?

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

doesn't Viking do different colors?

But I wish others did as well, especially in the midrange.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

I'd love the robin egg blue from Big Chill or Northstar, but I don't think budget-wise I could do a whole suite. But, yes, more colors from other manufacturers would be awesome.

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm really pleased with the feedback. I'm kind of surprised about how many people would like more color in their kitchens (and not retro color!) while still keeping the price in the midrange.

I'm consulting with a design company about future appliance direction and this is really helping me understand what people really want. (and also what they actually do with their kitchens)

If you'd like to influence the way the project goes, I'd love to hear more through our survey which includes pictures of kitchens for your review/critique.

I guess it's a common misconception in the industry that everyone aspires to have stainless appliances, and that stainless goes with any kitchen, regardless of your family's personal style!

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Kitchen Style Survey

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>I guess it's a common misconception in the industry that everyone aspires to have stainless appliances, and that stainless goes with any kitchen, regardless of your family's personal style!

It drives me crazy that so many appliances are only available in stainless now, or stainless and black, which is worse. I can live with white, although I'd love a cherry red or turquoise fridge.

But as I said in my previous post, I don't understand why I can buy a cheap, cheap fridge in Europe and it's totally integrated and paneled to match the rest of the kitchen, but in the US I still have to buy The HULK, unless I'm so wealthy I'd never go into the kitchen anyway. :)

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

>unless I'm so wealthy I'd never go into the kitchen anyway.

This is so true! It's horribly ironic that the only people who truly get to express themselves through their kitchens rarely even use them! lol

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Well, actually around here you'll find plenty of people who opted to spend big bucks on the kitchen because it's the most important part of the house to them. I was speaking more of myself (if I had that kind of money I'd have someone else to clean and do the less interesting cooking.)

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah it seems like for some families, the kitchen is the natural gathering place- more so than even the living room!

• ya_think
    14 years ago

I question the feasibility of offering a broader range of colors in the mid-range market. As I see it, either you're simply going to be adding a modern day avocado green and harvest gold, or, you're going to create a supply issue because you're increasing inventory demand.

Cabinetry is typically custom order. Is that really where you want to go with mid-level appliances? Car dealers have a network. If they don't have the car you want on a lot they find it somewhere else. I'd be surprised if there's enough money to be made in the mid-range appliance market to warrant something like this on a regular basis.

Additionally, unless I'm looking for a single focal point in my kitchen, say a red range, if I want the same color across the board you're now limiting me to all appliances being the same brand. (I'm basing this on the idea that all blacks, whites and stainless tend to match close enough, but differences in green, blue, or red would be much more apparent.) That's not popular around these parts.

I say leave it to the high end. Us low-to-middle folks go through enough heartache making appliance decisions without adding color to the mix.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Cabinetry is typically custom order. Is that really where you want to go with mid-level appliances?

In this country. But you can go into any Ikea in Europe and find doors and fridges to go behind them, or buy any standard fridge and get the doors at Ikea, so while that's the way it is, it certainly isn't the way it has to be. I know plenty of humble little kitchens in GB and continental Europe (and even China, for that matter) with integrated appliances. It's like saying Induction is only for the upscale. Here, yes. Rest of world, hardly.

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It does seem like the US market has some catching up to do, and maybe it's because there's so much competition in Europe. (Most US appliance brands are related through larger managing corporations)

I think there should be not only more color choice, but also choice in the actual 'look'. Many appliances are nothing more than metal boxes, which do little to add to the family kitchen aesthetic. I love the look of vintage iceboxes and cast iron stoves- so much detail and cool forms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Design Survey

• ya_think
    14 years ago

"But you can go into any Ikea in Europe and find doors and fridges to go behind them, or buy any standard fridge and get the doors at Ikea..."

Ok so you're asking for integrated appliances at a mid-level price, and I won't argue with that. Can't be that hard, right?

When I read the subject line, "Stainless Steel, black, white- do we need more options?" I interpreted this as, "Do we need more color choices?" not "Do we need more integrated appliances?" And I answered accordingly.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Right, but that's one way to get more color choices, isn't it? :)

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel like putting panels on appliances isn't really adding to the look of the kitchen- especially if it looks exactly like the cabinets.
    I think it should complement the existing cabinets, floors, counters, etc... better than the current options (stainless-black-white), but not be too "matchy-matchy". It should be an independent element in the kitchen, yet still create a harmonious 'look' with everything else.

Integrated appliances shouldn't have to mean 'hidden appliances'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Kitchen Style Survey

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

My particular problem (and this is only my opinion) with many mid-range appliances is their appearance.

Some very low end appliances (I am thinking of inexpensive refrigerators right now) are attractive because they have flat doors and no handle or a recessed handle. The mid range options are tricked out with curve doors and lots of plastic that discolors in a different way than the metal itself. I don't know how many kitchens I go in that have white appliances with "yellow" trim.

The black sides to stainless appliances particularly bother me. And the problem is a double whammy. These are the lower price point stainless appliances for the most point and they are going to be installed in more modest remodels where the sides are more likely to be partially exposed (less elaborate cabinetry, etc.) You are just supposed to "ignore" the sides of the appliances.

In a larger sense this "ugly in the back" phenomenon is rampant in the US. The facade of the house has all the materials on it while the sides and back are the cheapest stucco system or vinyl siding available.(In high markets this is common on all but the most expensive custom houses) And where does everybody really use the yard? In back.

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

Ditto!

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My husband was commenting on this just this weekend.
    We drove past a cookie cutter-type subdivision, and the houses faced away from the main road, so when driving by all we could see was the cheap vinyl siding, while the fronts where very classy brick!

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mid range appliances do seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to both looks and functionality...

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I think that to a certain extent even cheap appliances function adequately for most people. I had a very inexpensive 18" DW and I now have an 18" Miele DW. The Miele does a better job of disposing of food particles, so it really does clean "better" However, the real difference is fit and finish (durability and cleansibility of the appliance itself) and decibel level.

I have had a couple of small inexpensive refrigerators and I have a 27" width Subzero. All of them have kept food cold. The SZ is the only one that ever needed a repair. The cheap ones were all a real PITA to keep clean and looking nice, that has been the real difference. One of the cheapos was noisy, one of them was as quiet as the SZ.

I don't get heavily involved with appliance selection with clients, because I don't want them to feel "talked into" a certain brand and take the blame for it if something goes wrong with it. Most of the time I would be happy to go with the cheapest one that met their criteria if if also didn't have ugly handles/controls or poor fit and finish.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

Dont sweat it. No matter what you get, it will go out of style. This is the way the manufacturers make money...start new trends so everyone remodels and buys new appliances. My neighbor got rid of a good washer/dryer because they wanted the new front load colored set. And stainless is going out of style too now.

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The new colors of washers/dryers do look pretty cute. I wonder if the same will happen in the kitchen.

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know if stainless is really going out of style... maybe it's just transitioning from 'trendy' to the realm previously occupied by only black and white- 'classic'?

But if it's becoming 'classic', what is taking its place as 'trendy'?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Amana is introducing some refrigerators in the $800 range in dark red and navy.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

The blue in the Amana may work for us. I will need to check into this.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

This is less about color, (since these ARE SS Bl and Wh )and more about simplicity. Here are three low price point, no option fridges that are better looking than a lot of mid range fridges...because they are so plain.
    Amana (silver) $700
    {{gwi:1423987}}
    Americana $400
    {{gwi:1423989}}

Hotpoint $529
    {{gwi:1423991}}

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You bring up an interesting point with the simple designs. Often they look the sleekest- even the lower priced models.

This is kind of related to the growing trend of paneling appliances- do you want your appliances to blend in or to stand out?

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why is it that some people feel so strongly about paneled appliances?
    I get the feeling some people actually hate them... with a passion...

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I took that survey but I'll add a few comments here.

What I'd like isn't out there. Either SS and white combo (enough of the SS and black, please!) or warm white not bright white. I don't mean almond/bisque, just a white that isn't quite so WHITE. But even if that doesn't happen, I'd like to see white offered in higher end appliances. White and SS together is clean and classy. As it is, they are almost all SS and sometimes maybe black. But white? Heck, no, if you want white, it's low to mid-range stuff for you.

By the time my remodel is done, I'll have both SS and white appliances. The SS is partly by protest because it's the only color choice available in the appliance I want. I have to wonder how many others end up, like me, with SS because that's was the only option.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

I hear you on the SS and black! Some of the ranges I've looked at have a lot of black. I think SS and white would be good, too. Since our kitchen is white and blue, that would look so much better.

BTW, I contacted Amana about the color fridges, and as of now there are no plans to offer them in larger sizes. Unfortunately, 18.9 cu ft is just too small. Great for an urban condo/loft, though. Even 22 cu ft. would work for us.

There is someone on the Kitchens forum who posted her kitchen with all SS except the white Jenn Air floating glass SXS fridge. It looks gorgeous, and a good demonstration of how appliances do not have to match.

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When I read your comment about white & stainless, it was like an epiphany. I have no idea why it hasn't been done in appliances before.
    Right now I'm staring at my Mac mini, with its white/matte silver combo and picturing it as a fridge.

That would totally work. It would tone down the harshness stainless can sometimes have and give a bit more interest to white.

One thing the survey has revealed is an amazing number of people just plain prefer white. Even more than stainless or black- the "design-y" colors people are supposed to want.

In fact a couple people who had stainless already said they wished they had white! Totally opposite of what Trend Today or whatever kitchen blog you read usually says.

So would matte silver metal work on a fridge? That would eliminate the fingerprint issue.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Glad my comments helped although I wish the SS/white option was available now since I need appliances now. It's always puzzled me that it hasn't been more readily (Viking and American Range ranges come in white/SS but that's about it I think). It's not something new - look to the vintage ranges with their white/chrome mix. Classic finishes and yet it would be right at home in today's kitchens.

I'm not sure what you mean by matte silver. Aren't some companies already doing this? I think they call it titanium or platinum or something along that line. Or do you mean a brighter, lighter finish than that? I'd like that. Some of the gray tones I've seen are awfully dull and on the dark side, at least to my eye. Then again, I'm not a fan of black appliances.

Interesting to read that some people who have SS wish they had white. I don't think SS is a trend but I do think the huge predominance of SS in the market is a trend. I sure hope to see a swing towards more balanced options for us consumers.

• mereanne
    14 years ago

We recently purchased all new appliances for our kitchen. Our range is a white 40" Ilve Majestic with chrome knobs and handrail. The combination of the white enamel finish with the chrome rail and the stainless steel cooktop is so much more beautiful than we expected - we purchased based on photos and had not seen the range in person.

I do think that white softens the look of the appliance and silver adds definition and interest. Not sure why more manufacturers don't offer this combo.

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think it would be a brighter, lighter metal. Mostly the key would be the finish- it would be bead-blasted or sand-blasted (as opposed to mirror finish or brushed) to give it a matte look and a satin feel to the touch. A good example is the mac mini I mentioned (see link)

I'm not entirely sure if some ranges already have this, but I haven't seen it yet. The satin/matte would be less reflective and show fingerprints much less.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1423982}}

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I love that finish! Wish it was available NOW! Yeah, I know, I don't ask for much. But honestly, if this was one of the current choices, I'd be so very happy.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I don't care much for the 'silvery' look - but that mac is nice - for those who want to go that way. there is a lot of 'silvery' stuff in kitchens anyway - like faucets.

I don't see why they can't go with colors - they could co-ordinate between brands. that'd be smart of them so more people could buy them. can't think of a 'color' i'd really want in a large kit appl tho. I prefer the almond myself. even bisque is a bit yellow for me. I don't like wht or blk or ss. I'm going to need to buy a stove, dw and sooner or later a new ref. and the choices are lean out there with my requirements. 18" dw for one. (why don't they make more dw in 18"? not everyone has a huge kit or lots of people.) and cabinet covered appls don't really appeal to me either. it gets to be too much!

mereanne - can you post a pic of your stove?

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If there were universal color choices (to elevate the fear of not being able to find a matching replacement later on) what would some good semi-neutral choices be?

maybe almond, deep mocha, sage, khaki, stonewashed denim... maybe some greys- cool grey, french grey, and slate?

• industrialdesign
    Original Author
    14 years ago

According to Pantone's color predictions, these colors will be big in 2010. Maybe these would work for appliances as well?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nesting12
    14 years ago

Well, I have to say the fact that Bluestar has ALL of the RAL classic colors (including lime green and bright orange) is a major godsend for me because I can exactly match my cabinets. I still like all the stainless on the range but it will look nice and sleek to have the same color brown-grey as the cabinets right across from the range.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

desertsteph

Actually there are more options than ever before for an 18" DW. When I did my first kitchen I had two choices:
    a White Westinghouse produced (I believe) unit, that was sold by Kenmore, Westinghouse, GE and a couple other brands...and Miele.

So very low end and high end. Now there are other options including a GE Monogram. This came about because of people wanting multiple dishwashers, and satellite kitchens in master suites or family rooms, and separate bar area DWs.

Look at a large site like AJ Madison or other online retailer and plug in 18" under dishwashers.