SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

? re: GC working with owner-hired Architect

Zoe52
16 years ago

We are just finishing up the schematic design process with our architect. He will be sending us a Design Development review package by the end of June early July. It will include floor plans, sections, elevations, and possibly some exterior details (we still have to approve). Anyway, he would like us to submit this review packet to the builders we interviewed recently. He wants each of them to give us an estimated cost/budget (not a bid price). Then he wants us to select our actual builder to help with the value engineering on the drawings during our architect's final design development phase.

Since we are approaching and hiring the GC BEFORE the design is actually final, how does one select a contractor appropriately? Two of the contractors we interviewed are custom builders who build 5 to 6 homes/year exclusively in our development (and they both live there, as well). One has an architect that he uses to design plans (so am not sure how much time he would like to spend going over our plan with our architect). We are thinking of interviewing another builder by phone to get a third builder involved. He was recommended to us by our architect.

I like the idea of getting a builder in on the design process (at least to help with the costs). A BIG concern, is once hired, how can we actually know that the builder we selected was cost effective for our needs. By hiring this early in the process we won't be sending out our completed plans to get several bids. Also, my husband does not want to start building until sometime next year and feels this may be way too soon to engage a builder. I wonder if this is something that anyone else has tried and how it worked for you. Or if this was not something you did, what are your thoughts?

BTW: I really LOVE our architect. So far he has integrated our exact thoughts and ideas well into his drawings.

Comments (4)