SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mythreesonsnc_gw

So sad this happened, but I need to focus on a solution....HELP!!

mythreesonsnc
12 years ago

Hi All,

I have written in before about getting some old barn beams for my new build. I scoured the area and finally found some that I loved. They are each over 17' long, and it was quite a process getting them ripped down to the appropriate size, and at the same time preserving the worn / aged sides where it would be visible and cutting only where the beam would attach to a wall. Where I had them ripped, the wood looked fresh cut, so therefore much lighter and it didn't have that beautiful aged patina and character of the wood before cutting. So, I was able to figure out a way to get all of these pieces and to keep the old edges. I was pretty proud of myself! I even got enough 3" thick boards to use as a perimeter band instead of crown moulding. When my trim guys put them up, they did a great job, but in one area they put one of the boards in upside down, so a fresh cut edge was visible. I didn't worry about it too much, because I figured when the painters / stainers came to the house, they could touch up that one little area and blend it in. Well, I went out to the house yesterday and I was crushed to see that they had stained every inch of my beautiful beams --- they are practically black. When they saw me holding back the tears, they quickly tried to get out a paint thinner to try to wipe some of the stain off since it was still wet. It didn't work because the wood was so rough and old. I went home and decided I needed to just take a deep breath and hope that when the stain dried, it would be lighter. I went back today and it is still practically black. I am so sad. I always intended for these to be their old natural selves, not stained at all....So, here is what I am wondering....

Does anybody have any ideas to lighten these things --- one of the cabinet guys suggested getting a 'faux" finisher. Another said sand them down --- but then they would be just the raw wood, and it would be smooth, not the character filled beautiful beams I had. Is there ANYTHING that can be done to lighten a stain? My builder is saying he'll get new beams, but it took me forever to find these, I'm not even sure I could find ones of this size again, and I'm not sure I want to start over if it can be avoided.

Here is a picture of them before:

Now / blackened:

Comments (17)