SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summer_tx

Win32.Patched.GB Trojan

summer_tx
13 years ago

Oh yeah, that's what I picked up yesterday looking for an appetizer recipe for a chili dinner I was serving last night. :( Now, my computer is dead in the water. Tried a little repair work but nothing seemed to help. Shut it down and didn't boot up again until this morning. My DH tried doing a restore and now all you can get is the desktop wallpaper minus any icons and no start menu. We finally got the task mgr. to let me get into Outlook Express where I could get my email addys and email them to his computer. I'm using it now.

Question, have any of you contracted this nasty trojan and if so, were you able to fix it or did you have to call in the big guns?

I have AVG free. It did alert me but didn't stop it. I'm running a Sony Vaio with win. XP. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

summer look at my post to you on KT, sorry I just saw it but gave you instruction there to go to one of the other forums I am on LzD for help.

It can be cleaned! you should not lose anything, just be patient and follow the directions given at LzD.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

link back to the KT thread
    Win32/Patched.GB

• summer_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you ravencajun. I just went over to LzD and registered and posted. I've tried to explain that I have no icons or functions. Hope they can explain to me how to manuver so I can do as they instruct.

Again, Thank you in advance for your help.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Some other user also got it from the food networks site,

"Clicked into the Food Network this morning looking for a recipe and all of a sudden the AVG Resident Shield Alert popped up with these two infections. I scanned the computer full scan and sure enough both pop up in the scan."

That was there report.. From bleep comp..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

that is so frustrating I hope they get that thing off their site real soon surely someone has notified them by now.

Summer no worries they will help you to get the pc able to do the scans and give you step by step direction.

• summer_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm very glad to know they'll be able to help me step by step. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these machines. :)

I honestly can't say I got it from the Food Network Site rc. I had Googled Appetizers for a Chili dinner and there were a few options listed. I clicked on one and looked it over, no trouble there, then I clicked on another and started hearing my hard drive click and clank so I clicked out and clicked Epicuris site but I'm thinking it came from the one before Epicuris. I just can't be sure. I should go Google again and just look the list of options over and see if I can recognize which one it might have been. Trust me, I won't click on ANY of them, just read the list. Hands off. :)

• zep516
    13 years ago

Hi summer,

Have you posted on any other sites asking for assistance on this problem?

• summer_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I have zep, but I was just fixing to post there and here to tell everyone that we went ahead and decided to let our friend's computer repairman take it with him. He just left here with it. He'd been over at our friend's house across the street and found out we were having trouble so he stopped by and we talked with him and he took it to clean it and will bring it back Thurs. Said he had to deal with this Win32.Patched before. Called it a malware/spyware instead of a virus I believe. We had seen 'trojan' on one of our searches yesterday, that's why I called it one.

I sure hope no one else catches that nasty thing.

• corrine_mvp
    13 years ago

Hi, SummerTX.

As I posted in your topic at LandzDown, when you computer is fixed, it would be a good idea to take a close look at your security setup and make sure you don't have any vulnerable third-party software.

As to terms, believe me, this isn't spyware. Malware is merely a general term for "malicious software".

Putting it simply --

A virus attaches itself to a program or file(s) enabling it to spread from one computer to another. It is possible to have a virus on the computer without it being infected -- if the .exe file hasn't been run.

A worm, on the other hand, does not need an .exe file to run, is essentially self-replicating and spreads from computer to computer (i.e. via e-mail, IM).

Trojans don't reproduce or self-replicate. They come embedded in what may appear to be valid files/downloads (a very common source of infection for those who use P2P programs). Trojans can change your desktop, delete or damage files and even create what is called a "backdoor" on your computer, placing your personal files in jeopardy of being compromised.

• summer_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh geeze Corrine, that's scary to read but I know that YOU know exactly what you are talking about so I'm taking it to heart. This repairman came highly recommended by our friend/neighbor and works on personal and business computers. I'm trying to have faith in his ability to clean this mess up. I appreciate all of your advice and suggestions and am printing it all out for further reference. I'm just sickened at how fast something like this can change your computer experience. It really woke me up. I've been complacent for much too long since I've been virus and trouble free. No more though. My heads in the game.

I will report any findings or info that I think any of you would be interested in when I get my computer back and find out exactly what he discovered. Thank you all so much.

I've borrowed a friend's computer for the next couple of days and I am going to treat it like a new born baby. No searches or opening attachments for me. Only going to sites and forums I know to be safe.

• Pyewacket
    13 years ago

Well I clicked on a link above and it apparently took me out of this forum into one of the general forums, so excuse the double post.

I have apparently got this particular piece of malware too.

I started full scans of my spyware/malware programs last night to try to identify and clean out this virus, which I also got in the course of a recipe search, apparently from the Food Network.

Unfortunately my son got up this morning, saw my netbook sitting there with the clamshell up, thought I'd left it on by accident, and shut it down.

Now it won't boot, not even in safe mode. I know the winlogon.exe file was corrupted and had scheduled a boot scan in Avast, but what it does now is cycle constantly between the blue screen with a message that flashes past far too quickly for me to read it, and the windows boot screen. It never comes up.

Since it was shut down before I got up this morning, I also didn't get to write down my XP license number, so even though I have access to an external DVD and an XP installation disk, I DON'T have a valid license # to enter.

I fear my netbook is bricked, all because of a recipe for apple streusel pie.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Please go to LzD forum register and post a NEW thread there telling exactly what you said here and you will get assistance and step by step guidance to help you clean your computer, please do not follow any other info other than what is given in YOUR thread, each case is different.

Analysis and Malware Removal
    post in that particular location.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH