SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

What happens when you rip a row of tile off wall?

bridget helm
16 years ago

I asked the tile layer, who just so happens to be my new next door neighbor, to lay one row of subway tile for the backsplash in our bathroom. I got to the house yesterday, and he had laid 3 rows, so now I have a 9in backsplash, and I didn't even want a backsplash to begin with, but my husband insisted that we have SOMETHING. I wanted to keep the bathroom minimal. I asked the guy who will install the mirror if he could hang the mirror over the top row of tile, so that we have a 6in backsplash instead of 9in. He said he could try, but it would lean back at the top.

I havn't even discussed this with the tile layer because I'm hoping I can come up with a solution without letting him know that he caused a mess.

We could rip the top row off and cover it with the mirror, which will now have to be recut to new measurements. The only problem now is the side walls. There's no mirror there. (the vanity is in a 3wall alcove) Will ripping the tile off the wall ruin the wall or just the paint?

I will be having a drywaller come out to patch up a hole left by sconces that had to be moved. I suppose I could just pay him to fix the mess the tile leaves behind?

Why don't people just do their jobs right the first time and why don't they LISTEN?

The whole house is having to be repainted AGAIN, for the third time. The first time they put the wrong colors in three of the rooms. Before they went in to put the second coat I caught it and I noticed that they used FLAT instead of Satin. On my outline of paintcolors that goes room by room color of wall, trim, cabinets etc., I clearly state ALL INTERIOR WALLS are to be in SATIN.

Well, what do you know, they finish painting and it's all FLAT, even after I caught it before the final coat!!

I'm ASTOUNDED and let down. I don't know whether to be angry or just laugh at how EVERY single thing in this house has gone wrong. I'm not kidding, not ONE thing has gone smoothly except for the roof and stucco job.

Oh, the trim carpenter put 8 of our kitchen bar pulls on crooked. AMAZING! you'd think a carpenter would use a leveler. HELLO!!! The kitchen is supposed to be sleek and simple and now I have cabinets that look like kindergarten artwork. the lines are all crooked. I suppose they are going to have to have new cabinet doors made.

All this, and we're supposed to close not this Monday but the next.

Oh, and the grading of the land didn't turn out right and has to be redone as well as a piece of our cement having to be repoured.

Back to my original question. What should I do about the backsplash?

Comments (6)