SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socaldisneydude

Security deposit rip off!!!

socaldisneydude
17 years ago

I'm still upset by this even though I have had 48 hours to fume over it. I moved to a different apartment within my same complex almost a month ago. When I moved out I made sure that I did a great job cleaning my old apartment because I would be living within the same building and didn't want to leave a bad impression. I knew that the carpet needed soem deep cleaning in a couple of spots in the living room due to a spill from a dinner plate (it was greasy stuff). The bedroom part of the studio was clean because 90% of the floorspace was taken up by the bed. The dining room had a rug covering the entire space so that whole are was protected as well. Honestly maybe 10% of the carpet needed cleaning. I spent an entire day cleaning everything from counters to sinks to blinds. It wasn't that much to clean because I had only spent 7 months living there. Bottom line is that I cleaned that place top to bottom and left it almost as clean as when I got it, except the carpet cleaning.

2 days ago I went into the office to inquire about my deposit. I expected to get about 400.00 back (Total deposit was 500.00). Well imagine my suprise when the manager tells me I'm only getting 13.00 back! She showed me some list that shows the cost for everything. 85.00 for professional cleaning services. 99.00 for the last 3 days that I occupied the apartement( I didn't move on the 1st because it was a weekday and I didn't want to take a day off from work so I moved out on the 3rd instead). I figured they would cut me some slack because of those first two days but when it comes to money, landlords can be as unforgiving as cancer. They also were charging me 250.00 for carpet replacement. They apparently replaced the carpet in the entire apartment and were charging me for it. I strongly disagree with this charge because as I stated before most of the carpet was covered by either furniture or a rug with very little of it actually exposed to wear and tear. Then I see a charge for 50.00 for carpet cleaning which I immediately spoke up about because you can't charge me for carpet cleaning AND replacement. You either cleaned the carpet or you replaced it.

After arguing with the manager for half an hour about the charges I finally got them to credit me half their cleaning charges because I did clean the apartment even though their maintenance guys said I didn't clean anything. I also got them to refund the carpet cleaning fees.

So now I expect to get a deposit back of about 100.00. I feel that I was completely ripped off and I was a complete idiot for wasting all that time and effort for cleaning my apartment after I moved out. Had I know that they would be keeping the bulk of my deposit anyways I would have left the place dirty and made no effort to clean.

Was I really ripped off? What are my legal rights in this situation? Can I ask for receipts for the supposedly replaced carpet that was replaced? Can I even go so far as to ask to see the new carpet?

Thanks for letting me rant and rave about this. I hope this teaches some of you a valuable lesson about security deposits. It's just another way for the landlord or manager to get extra money from you for leaving. Don't bother cleaning or trying to be a good person. They will charge you anyways.

Comments (21)

Sponsored