SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetjerusalem

Freestanding refrigerator to look like built-in

janetjerusalem
15 years ago

I think I want to get the Liebherr 30" fridge because it is the only counter depth fridge here in Israel apart from the Amana 36" which requires a tremendous amount of space to open its very wide door. Since the 30" Liebherr in Israel costs about $3000 while the built-in of the same model is a whopping $12,500 (!!!!), I thought I'd get the freestanding one and build the cabinets around it. I was surprised to see the 30" Liebherr is not only available in the US but quite popular, so I was wondering if anyone there knows how close you can make the cabinets around it. I will have cabinets on both sides as well as overhead and would like the front to be flush with the cabinets. Would like it to look as built-in as possible....

Specific questions:

1. Does the hinge mechanism require space on the hinge side of the fridge in order to have clearance to open? My present ancient Amana doesn't need any clearance space--you could have cabinets flush up against it on both sides and the door would open fine.

2. Are built-ins made differently? They seem to require venting on top and bottom only--but not on sides, while many freestanding ones say you need to leave a certain amount of air space on the sides as well for ventilation. Why the difference?

3. Just curious--is the price difference between the freestanding and built-in usually so great in the States?

4. Should I post this on the Kitchen Forum as well?

The model #'s for the European models are different. They look pretty much the same in the brochures and the specs seem to be the same.

Thanks so much for any advice. The local importers seem to know very little about technical matters regarding the Liebherr products and Liebherr is not well know here---until very recently, you could only get their fridges at the importer's single showroom in the center of the country or thru some kitchen builders....

Janet in Jerusalem

Comments (2)