SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadow700

Treehouse on a free-standing 10'x10' deck 8' off the ground

shadow700
13 years ago

I am thinking of building a freestanding 10'x10' deck and "treehouse" about 6-8' off the ground and am looking for any special considerations I'll need to take into account. Below is the basic narrative for the project and the questions that I an looking to determine answers for. If anyone can provide some insight into any of the questions, I would appreciate it.

On top of this deck will be a ~6' high treehouse (while we have a nice treed area, none of them are candidates to support a treehouse on their own, so am I just going to build one on a raised deck).

I think I am going to use four 6"x6" posts set in an 8'+ square to support two 10' sistered 2x8 beams. The piers will be 12" across, 36" deep (below frost line here) and have bolts placed when the concrete is poured or wedge anchors placed after curing. Metal brackets will be bolted to the concrete.

Question: What is the appropriate method for connecting the posts to the brackets? Do I use nails or screws? I've always used nails, but I've also never done a tall, free-standing structure like this and didn't know if it called for something else.

Question: Is there a preferred bracing member configuration between the post and beams for this design?

One top of the beams will be a 10'x10' platform built of 2x8" joists.

Question: Assuming 12" oc install, it's 11 joists. 16" oc, it's 9. For the cost of two extra joists, is there any reason not to go 12" oc?

On top of that, a 6' tall house will be constructed. I am still working on the design, but it not going to be anything too "out there" (else the kids will be fully grown before I finish it!). If anyone has any thoughts on a design or design elements, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments (3)