SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Preventing water damage- steel braid hoses vs floodchek/floodstop

marvelousmarvin
10 years ago

After suffering water damage before, I'm really paranoid about any suffering any further water damage in the future from a leak or hose bursting for the washing machine, ice maker for the fridge, and dishwasher.

I know that rubber hoses will become brittle and might rupture so you should replace them periodically.

But, are those stainless steel braided hoses a permanent solution or do they also break down too and need to get replaced periodically too? Has anybody ever had any problems with those stainless steel braided hoses?

I've seen the commercials for Farmer's Insurance, where they say to replace the washing machine hoses every five years but it didn't specify it that was only a problem for rubber hoses or if you also need to replace the stainless steel braided hoses every five years too.

Or, should I step up and pay for those floodchek hoses,which are supposed to be superior to the stainless steel braided hoses, as well as the corresponding gooseneck connectors? Of course, the floodchek website will make self serving claims that they're better but there's no Amazon reviews to confirm if that's true.

Or, what about Floodstop device, an emergency shut off device which will shut off the water if it detects any water from a leak or rupture? It seems like it might work, but are there any issues with durability? I'm just skimming through the Amazon reviews but some people complain how it seems to be cheaply made.

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 4:04

Comments (14)