SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marsee_gw

problems with house plan

marsee
13 years ago

Hi. This is my first post on the building forum. I posted my plans on the kitchen forum and they suggested I post here to get opinions on the overall plan. I would appreciate any help, tips, and suggestions anyone has for me. Let me start off by saying the house will be built on a dirt pad that is already done. This means we can't go much further out in any direction. We have a pond about 30 feet behind us and a road in the front and on one side of us.

Right now I am at a place where I can't believe how large this house is and I still don't have what I want. My original plan had a separate mud room, locker area and office. This was causing us to have a long hall way to the guest entrance that I hated. To get rid of the hall we combined the rooms and now there isn't enough space for my husbands hunting/fishing equipment.

We do want a very open floor plan. That was a goal from the beginning. My problem is the stairway. I think it should be in a foyer but after repeated request to have a foyer I have yet to see it in a plan. So I really don't know if I would like it or not. What do you think? Foyer or open?

I also really dont like my bathroom. I don't like how it is long and narrow. Any suggestions?

Just to fill you in, we will have 2 bedrooms and 1 bath upstairs. The downstairs game room will be a kids game room until they are older then we will add the pool table and make it more of a teenager hangout and once the kids are gone add the bar. This also creates a problem in that we have no area for liquor until the kids leave. Should I add a small wet bar somewhere for now?

My garage made much more sense before this last set of changes. I don't want one part to come out farther than the other. I also want my husbands truck to be furthest away from the door so that I dont have to cross over it with kids, bags and groceries. So that area will have to change as well. We are on 10 acres with my parents on the opposite end. We want the golf cart to be easy to get in and out to get around the property.

I really appreciate any advice.

Comments (20)