SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xc60

Beware of Using Plastic Tubing For Waterline to Refrigerator

xc60
12 years ago

I shared this story on GW Kitchen Forum as well but thought I should also post a thread here on the issue to try to save others from having this happen to their home.

If you decide on the water/ice on the refrigerator please make sure your installer uses a metal braided hose to connect the water lines. We have had the very unfortunate experience of the plastic tube fail twice in just over a year.

A year ago in our last house we pulled the fridge out for cleaning and when we pushed it back in the plastic line pinched causing tiny small leaks that took over two weeks to discover since no water pooled in front of the fridge. We had no idea until the ceiling in the room below was suddenly bulging and pouring out water onto the carpet.

In the end it ruined all the hardwood in the kitchen as it leaked underneath and spread on the subfloor, cabinets had to pulled out and the room down below had to almost completely redone including carpet, ceilings, drywall, paint....... We were trying to sell and had to refuse showings for 6-8 week while it was being repaired. What a mess!

And then just last night the plastic tube on our new fridge of not even 3 months ripped off the clamp spraying water everywhere at 1:30 am thank goodness I heard the noise. The water was only spraying for about 25 seconds by the time I turned it off screaming at my poor sleeping son to grab towels. In that short time before we could wipe up the water it had leaked through the floor onto the ceiling below and came out my son's bedroom light fixture. We are really hoping not too much damage has been done this time as we would hate to have another brand new home torn apart again. :(

Comments (4)