SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aseedisapromise

How do you use black plastic with melons?

aseedisapromise
15 years ago

Hi there,

I was reading the question about melons for cooler climates, and was wondering about black plastic. I haven't had a lot of luck with melons either, but would like to try next year if I can get some more info. I just tried to search for "Black Plastic" to get an explanation of how you all use it to help your melons, and didn't come up with much, mostly people complaining about landscape fabric with mulch on top of it. I did one year plant a butternut squash in a spot of the garden where I had kept my movable cold frame all spring, and it did very well in the warmed up soil. So maybe I get the theory behind what you are all talking about. I do have to overhead water though, and I wonder how that would work with black plastic? If I could find the plastic, maybe I could just put it over the spot for the time before I plant the squash outside? I bet if I had another cold frame, and could keep from burning the plant up inside, putting it over until it was too large might be a good thing. Let me know if you have time how you all use your plastic.

Thanks.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH