SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanne6_gw

Beware Andersen/Emco screen doors

Joanne6
16 years ago

Last fall I bought a new screen door at Home Depot for several hundred dollars. The door was made by Emco, an Andersen subsidiary, and was one of the new kinds that allows you to slide one of the glass panes over the other as it unfurls a screen. After the company installed it, the door rarely shut tight unless I pushed it in, but overall I was very pleased.

Then a couple weeks ago on a blustery spring Sunday I came home to find the door swung fully (180 degrees) wide. The door closer (the small metal tube that slides out of the larger tube when the door opens) was actually bent and couldn't shut. The bracket and pin that held the closer to the door were also bent. When I called the company to use the warranty, I was told that that is wind damage and they don't cover it...that they were getting a lot of calls about "wind damage" and they would not cover the damage. I said that that was indication of inferior parts, which they should cover; basically they're trying to charge me $22 for replacement parts that are only going to bend again. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was met with resistence and ultimately promised a call back which never happened.

The upshot is, these screen doors aren't quality products. They've used aluminum where they should have used steel, and there's no component that catches the door before it swings beyond the extension of the closer.

Comments (70)