SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Tile - full height vs. half-height?

charlikin
15 years ago

So it seems to be the assumption of all contractors in NYC that when you tile the (tiny NYC) bathroom, you do full height in the bath/shower and half height (48") on the rest of the walls.

Meanwhile, I saw a recently-renovated apartment in my neighborhood that had full height tile on the sink/toilet wall (with a gorgeous granite banjo countertop), and none on the adjacent and opposite walls. (Full height in the bath/shower, natch.) The non-tiled walls were painted a neutral color similar to the tan subway tiles. It looked very elegant and contemporary.

Â

It would seem with this kind of tiling, there would be fewer issues with where to put accessories on the wall - like does the medicine cabinet have to start above the 48" tile line, will the border tiles look funny going behind the faucet, will the tile line seem too low above the banjo countertop (which I am planning on doing), etc.

What do people think? Does a small bathroom need to be tiled on all walls? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts/opinions/rants/etc. :-)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!