SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carraig

STUMPED! Bathroom design ideas...

carraig
14 years ago

I'm adding on a 2nd bathroom to make our house a much more desirable 3/2. The current plan is to have the bathroom share the entire 14ft master bedroom wall and go 10ft deep.

Here's my homework for the day (per honey-do-list) that I need help with.

I need to fit:

Counter with dual sinks

Toilet

Walk in shower with two heads

Walk in closet with space for stacking w/d

And I can only have one door on either end of the 14ft shared wall, not in the middle (as our cal king bed will go on that wall.)

Please HELP!!! I'm going out of my mind trying to figure it out while keeping the design attractive yet usable.

Thanks!

Carraig

Comments (25)

• User
    14 years ago

without a preliminary drawing, it's really hard (for me anyways to help with ideas on layout) however, in the book section at Lowes, they have several books that offer different layouts in them. One inspecific IS a layout and design book. I would go there first, take a peak to see if there are any layouts in print that you can use as a jumping point. 10 x 14 is not a small space and if planned well, you should be able to fit all that in.

As a footnote, a walk-in closet doesn't leave much for ventilation, and you may be asking for trouble having your laundry space located in there. Once you post some drawings, I have no doubt the creative folks of this forum will be happy to offer some better ideas. Good luck! --Lukki

• carraig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, here are two preliminary drawings. One is my idea, the other is the wife's. I won't ruin it and say who's idea is whose.

Please let me know which is better, why, and what you would change.

Thanks,
    Carraig

{{gwi:1444608}}

{{gwi:1444609}}

• Related Discussions

Bathroom decor - I'm stumped!

Q

Comments (99)
    Before you pay $35 plus a gal and get it home and you not like it..why not see if BM sells the jar of sample paint in your chosen color? $4 for a sample if it is available could save you not only money but a lot of frustration and stress. We have learned to do that first. Putting the small cardboard sample chart on the wall doesn't do it for me so my very clever former Duron paint mgr. suggest we buy white poster board and buy sample or qt. size and paint that poster board the chosen color and use the paint tape to hang it on your wall where you can look at it for a few days before definately deciding if it is the right color you want to live with for a few years. That blue paint tape will not damage your wall or leave the residue that scotch tape will do. I came upon a website by accident on yesterday and although it was not on BM website, it showed a list of the most used BM paint colors and what rooms they were used in. I bookmarked it for future reference. There are other paint companies that are selling the sample paints, which is a super idea in my opinion. Less costly trial and error method!
    ...See More

Bathroom Design Idea, help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Collect some images that inspire you................decide if it's a gut. .......keeping tub? Not keeping tub... etc. Looks like the average 5 x 8 bath. Add inspo pics and more info.
    ...See More

Looking for expert idea for designing my master bathroom & masterbedrm

Q

Comments (3)
    If a dressing area is desired, then that can be an area that transitions from the bathroom directly into the closet. As it is now, you have to exit the bathroom and walk all the way around the king bed to the closet. Also, a note about the ceilings. It doesn't appear to be a vault from the roofline (doesn't continue through closet), so a tray ceiling sometimes causes odd layouts of furniture and defines spaces in how you don't want them to be layed out. A large tray as represented here may also cause unwanted situations with lighting and odd corners where different slopes meet.
    ...See More

Please help with design ideas for powder bathroom

Q

Comments (4)
    since your tile and floor is already 'busy', I'd go w/paint. Maybe a nice piece of art on that portion of the wall? If you go w/a light wall color, try one of these darker tones on the ceiling. I think I like going w/the pink/blush tone. With something like Night Shade on the ceiling. then some art w/these colors for the wall or, how about these? Socialite on the ceiling, dreamy white walls if you want grays, try some of these. bring in some art w/grays/blacks/whites, but one bold color pop what's over your toilet? try some marble shelves, or, how about these wall hangings w/faux greenery? would add a little color and life to the room or, you could do a warm wood shelf, plants, other decor items. shown here w/some wall art
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

You did a great job! So here are a couple of things you need to consider. If you live in an area that has cold winters you should only have your plumbing on an interior wall. From a visual perspective, drawing 2 would probably be the preference because when one walks into the bathroom, the first thing they see is the cabinets which are usually a focal point of the room. Most people (myself included) don't care for "stacked" machines. I know they save space, but usually the built in types are two small for a family, and the front loaders are to tall for many people to reach. I'd move the storage shelving to another area, and turn that corner in to a dedicated laundry area that can house both machines. The closet is large enough that you can use 18-24 inches to install a linen cabinet for towels and so on. A second option (and my personal preference would be to even the entrance for the shower, put the second shower head over the bench, and put your linen cabinet next to the vanities. If you don't want the cabinet next to the vanity, I would still even out the shower doors so the shower is more rectangular, it doesn't make sense to have a shower head around the corner from the bench. That's what I see off the top of my head, hope that helps. -- Lukki

• User
    14 years ago

Also, keep in mind you'll need to consider the space required for building materials when you're doing your mock up. For example, when you measure out a shower to be 5x5, keep in mind that you're going to loose 3-4 inches of the interior space to tile, morter & backer board, so in reality the inside will only be 4 ft 8 inches wide. Believe it or not, that was a hugh shocker to me when I was planning our space, something I hadn't even considered. Ended up having to move a wall a foot to help accomodate the space.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

what about plumbing on the outside walls? are there any windows? how come one diagram comes a few ft more into the bedroom and the other doesn't?

• houseful
    14 years ago

Can you show the floorplan for the entire master bedroom? Is your bed really pushed into the corner like that? If so, you may want to consider also making the bedroom larger.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The bed in the corner is a problem. If you are going to be adding on, I would try to figure a way to solve that problem.

Also, it appears, in the drawing anyway, that you will be knocking elbows if you are each at your sink. If the basin size and location is accurate.

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

It all depends on what is most important to you. In the 2nd drawing, I see you have bumped out into your bedroom space? The more you divide something, the more space is wasted. Just my preference, I prefer not having to go through a bathroom to get to the closet.

• sawmill
    14 years ago

Regarding the W/D issues: If you are doing laundry for an entire family, I might agree with previous poster about the stackable vs full size machines. However, if you and your wife are the primary users, I think stackables are a great convenience and the location allows for frequent smaller loads right at point of use. However, I would not mix wet and dry sites, as in Option 1. Option 2 is preferable for the additional reason that sharing a common wall with a laundry unit (Opt 1) means that you will get vibrations and noise aplenty while lying in bed, should one of you need to do a late night or early morning wash. To lessen the operating noise in the Option 2 location, I would add bi-fold doors in front of the laundry closet.

Vanity: I agree that a 5 ft width will seem too close unless you two are on totally different schedules or live in Manhattan where this would feel like a huge space.

Good luck. You will really enjoy having the extra space this new suite will provide.

• carraig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, what a lot of replies for just a day and a half. Let me see if I can answer them.

I live in a warm climate without any worry of freezing pipes in exterior walls.

I personally don't care to have a w/d in the master suite but it's very important to my wife and earns me many brownie points thus it stays. She isn't tall herself but has no trouble with her stacking full size front-loaders. In fact, it's her preference that they are stacked. We also have laundry hookups in the garage for when our kids are old enough to do their own laundry.

Location of the showerhead is another interesting discussion. My wife likes to sit down in the shower and let the water fall on her when she's had a long day. If the showerhead was over the bench then it wouldn't be conducive to sitting on the bench while relaxing in the shower. Now weedyacres' idea of having the two showerheads opposite each other, given a flexible enough showerhead, may still work. Hrmm...

desertsteph: I'll be honest, since we're already adding nearly 4ft of extra space to the master bedroom alone I was willing to cheat a little on the closet because I liked the way that design flowed. Originally I had the wall even, but that made the closet space a little too tight when I accounted for clothes hanging on the wall.

houseful: No, didn't mean to imply that the bed was going to be pushed all the way into the corner. It'll probably be on the middle of the wall. I hadn't really thought about that since I was posting the bathroom for display. I'd be happy to post the entire masterbedroom but not sure what help it would be.

annaleef: That is the #1 thing I didn't like about the first plan. I didn't like that all the plumbing was running through the wall that would likely be where my head lie as I tried to sleep. I also didn't like the toilet door opening into the sink on the first one.

Shower design. The idea behind the offset entrance walls in the second design was to enable us to have a shower without a door that would still offer a little privacy. I've seen them in some house designs and really like the idea. I will probably push the shower wall nearest the sink to the right a little in order to give a little more sink room.

Size of vanity. I think you're all right about that. 5ft is a little small. But due to the very different standards my wife and I have for a sink, the two sinks are small price to pay to avoid needless skirmishes. See above about shower, I may sacrifice a little shower space for bigger vanity.

Thanks so much,
    Carraig

• carraig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I've slightly modified the masterbath. I made the vanity longer and changed the shower around a bit. I also moved the bed in the master so it wouldn't bother people.
    {{gwi:1444610}}

And here is the entire master bedroom.
    {{gwi:1444612}}

Thanks again,
    Carraig

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

I like that better. I'm not sure how you'd go about putting shower heads right in the corner, though. If your DW likes to soak, you might consider a rain shower head over the bench.

• houseful
    14 years ago

Sorry, I still can't get past the bed that looks like it doesn't belong there. You don't need a nightstand? Why are you not putting it on the wall on the right? I think you are also limiting yourself having to keep the bathroom door on one side or the other. A door in the middle will give you some other great bathroom designs.

• User
    14 years ago

I think that looks better too. You may just want to put one shower head on the wall that's next to the vanity so it can point towards the bench, and move the shower head in the opposite corner to the middle of the wall backing the bed. FWIW, when looking at vanities for our remodel, I noticed that standard size for many of the dual sink units was 60 inches (5 ft). Since we had the room available we opted with ordering cabinets from a kitchen source instead, but be prepared to pay more for a size that isn't standard (and there maybe another standard size available, 72 inches I think, but I'm really not so sure)

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

Looks great! I really like the use of Pocket doors. You aren't showing doors on the laundry/storage area. highly recommend folding doors there. We have ours in a hall way and really like closing it off from view sometimes. Actually, if you put folders there and one the closet, you won't need that first pocket door.
    I think the stacked WD is a great option. Most people are thinking of the apartment sized units. But, LG makes a nice set that are full-size individual units that can be stacked. My 5"2 wife uses it easily.

If I could make one other suggestion. Changing the wall between that vanity and the shower to a glass wall will free up a few more inches of vanity space, plus really open up the bathroom visually, while really showing off you cool new shower. It makes such a difference, even from inside the shower.

My 2 cents, worth far less...

Here is a link that might be useful: LG stackable washer.

• janroze
    14 years ago

carraig, How fun!

I'm not an architect, but I have designed and over-seen the construction of multiple additions.

First, are you modest or not? I'd say not, if you want a shower for two, but all those doors....You can gain a much greater sense of space if you eliminate most of the doors and the walls from both ends of the lavatories.

I know you didn't mention a tub, but if you ever want to re-sell or grow old there, you may wish you had one in the master. Here are ideas that include a tub and side by side W & D.

CLOSET:
    Change the access of the WI to the far end of the BR wall.
    Build a wall at the pass through end of the closet and flip the "U" shaped clothes rods to the other end or add a stack of shelves between rods.

LAUNDRY:
    Move W & D to the new closet/hall wall. Hang shelves/cabinets above W&D for linens, detergents etc. Close off with doors or you may find you like to do without the laundry doorsÂit makes it feel roomier when using it, plus it gives you wider access for repairs. You can put laundry baskets on the W&D and teach the family to sort as they bring dirty clothes there. I have baskets marked "white, medium, dark and red" on mine.

HALL:
    Remove both of the current laundry walls. Make the laundry area a hall, from MBR ot bath,against the outside wall and add a window--light tends to expand an area & the light from the window will save on electric bill, help with ventilation and light when doing laundry. The hall gives great access to W&D and bath from outside/MBR.

BATH:
    Gain almost 2' by removing interior walls and using a 5' vanity with center drawer stack below. Add a shelf under mirrors for more work space, if you use a lot of stuff-works great for us. Toilet paper, tissue, etc, can go below sinks or in cabinet above stool

Trade vanity and stool spaces. You will directly face vanity as you enter from the hall. A window could be installed on your left. Put door/arch where W&D-stool wall is now. At far end, have tub on long wall at rt angle with shower (all-glass will open up the space)
    on far wall or the other way around,depending on the length you want for each.

BEDROOM:
    Now, your bed can be centered with the extra length of the wall due to the laundry.However, I would center it on the long wall to the right for the following reasons: easier access to WI closet, more accessible for clean laundry to be put away, bed can be focal point from any of your doorways, won't directly face light from window when trying to sleep, have a nice wall opposite for furniture/TV, can have larger night stands/chests /w lamps.

Remember good vents and fans, non-skid tile and tub/shower, a side light for each end of vanity and one in center and lights at the far end will be key.
    jan

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i'm liking the 3rd version better. i wouldn't like going thru the bathroom to get to the closet...

you could put some of the storage space (next to w/d) into the toilet area and make that non used wall a floor to ceiling shallow closet/cabinet. if the storage in by the w/d is that deep, be sure to use slide outs.

you could also use a few ft of space at the beginning of the closet on the wall by the sink for shelves (shoes, sweat tops, sheets) and then on the other side (by sink, shower) make it floor to ceiling shallow cabinet also (maybe a 1'deep). lots of storage. can never have enough of it. good place there for towels, heating pad, massager, extra light bulbs, etc.

center of vanity - shallow drawers for make up (not yours), toothpaste, hair brushes & clips, nail stuff etc. deeper one at bottom for hair dryer etc. I'm putting in a sink tilt out for my toothbrush/paste.

and the center of vanity from counter top up could be a shallow cabinet maybe 1' wide (tho have it set up on an extra piece of granite or something) for more storage of meds, cremes, shaver, first aid stuff, vitamins, lotions & potions... as a female i'd have more than enough to fill one of those up (plus one over the toilet, across from the toilet, by the shower etc). then just use mirrors over the sinks.

did i mention you can NEVER have too much storage space? and i don't like deep closet/cabinet space - you lose stuff in the back (never to be seen again).

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

It would be nice if you could get a plan that got the access to the bathroom complex All to one side to maximize the wall space in the bedroom and combine the access to the yard and bath into one area. (Instead of the hall splitting the space) I haven't figured one out yet, where you don't lose the toilet enclosure.

• dugi_otok
    14 years ago

By Jove, I think jan's got it!

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

carraig,
    I like your 3rd drawing better too. I also really like Jan's ideas. I have kicked some different things around on my computer program, I enjoy doing stuff like this when I have time. If the bed could be moved to the other wall, you could divide the closet and laundry areas with a wallthrough archway. I drew in 32" wide doorways. You could perhaps use a pocket door for the closet.It's just another perspective. Some people like to keep the toilet completely closed off from the rest of the bathroom, but as Jan mentioned, you give up alot of space that way. Hoping I post this drawing right. [IMG]http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/spacechallenged/IMG_0001.jpg[/IMG]

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

Oops! hope the 3rd try is a charm:)
    I'm not used to posting pics.
    http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/spacechallenged/IMG_0001.jpg

• carraig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's okay space, these forums can be tricky. I went ahead and posted your picture down below.
    {{gwi:1444614}}

I like the idea behind your plan but am having trouble deciphering some of the lengths. Did you move the backyard door? Also, the width of the wall is 14ft and you had an extra foot in there. Otherwise, I hadn't even though of that route.

I'll play with it and see where it takes me.

Jan, is there any chance you could sketch out your idea? I've been playing with the design and can't decipher your description very well. I'm sorry. It sounds like it would be great.

Thank everyone for all the help!
    Carraig

• spacechallenged
    14 years ago

carraig,
    I keep failing on this post. Trying again.
    I drew in a 14 x 10 interior dimension. The measurements you see are exterior which shows how much you actually use with studs and siding...I didn't like the way I drew in your utility room area. It was very small, so I redrew it. It takes a little from the bathroom this way, but if it were me, I'd want some more space in the laundry area.
    http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/spacechallenged/IMG-1.jpg

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

link to last drawing

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1444607}}

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living