SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Plumbing markup question

athensmomof3
12 years ago

Overall I have been very happy with our builder. However, I do have a question about plumbing. He likes to use a large plumbing company for his fixtures - Fergsuson. The way it works is you go and pick them out, his plumber picks them up, gets a trade discount and then marks them up 10 percent from his trade discount. Is this the usual practice?

We have a cost plus contract so I thought I was supposed to get the material cost, taking advantage of all discounts the contractor gets. We even specifically discussed that language, but not this specific situation. Obviously, I can buy these things for much less online even with the plumber discount, and particularly with the plumber discount and markup. When I talked to the builder about this, he gave me some song and dance about the plumber warrantying the fixtures and if there is a faulty valve and he has to take out the tile work to fix it, he will cover the cost of the tile work. Haven't seen this in writing though. . .

Am I being taken for a ride, or is this how it is done? Every time I bring up trying to buy some things online, I get some resistance. He did say that we could get the plumbers prices and then compare, but I know online will blow him out of the water. I found a toto tub like we want for 427.00 - list is 1400 - at faucet direct. I am afraid to bring it up before I get the plumbers quote because I am afraid that money is going to come out somewhere and if he isn't getting the mark up he will charge more for the installation. . .

How would you handle this?

Comments (32)