SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaynees

Building a home spitting distance from a hospital? Good or bad?

jaynees
13 years ago

Our land is on a quiet country road in town. Behind our land there was some significant acreage that was going to be used to build a cultural museum and park, but that project languished and the developers ran into some financial troubles during the economic downturn. Yesterday it was announced that a hospital system has purchased 20 acres with a plan to use 12 acres to build a small hospital and leave 8 acres for future development.

Let me preface this by saying that I actually WORK for this hospital system, which is very highly regarded and respected in our area. I love this place and what they do for the community.

HOWEVER, part of me cringes a bit at the idea that my back porch could eventually face...a hospital. A great, highly-respected hospital, sure, but still a hospital. I know I can plant large trees along the back of my property line to create some buffer, but it still has me wondering.

Will having a hospital on the other side of my fence be a negative or a positive for future selling? Granted, we haven't even begun to BUILD yet, and probably won't for another year, but in 12-15 years I could see us moving back to NYC, and wonder if it'll be difficult to sell with the hospital that close to our house - and potentially VISIBLE from our back porch.

Thoughts?

Comments (16)