SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe88x

building new home from another city ?

Joe88X
10 years ago

I plan to buy a wooded lot and build a new home in Oregon, but I currently live in Minnesota. Is it possible to do that without moving to Oregon until the home is built? What I mean is, can a new home be built through a contractor even though I live afar, not being in the city/state where the home is being built? I know it would be ideal to live where the home is being built, but i am in my 50s and retired and moving across states is going to be stressful. My original plan was to move MN->OR and get a hotel a week, find a home to rent for a 6-12 month lease while I build, but it would seem so much less stressful to make a few trips to Oregon to find and buy the lot/land, then if I could hire a contract to built my home there while I continue to live where I am until the home is done, so that I then move from here to my new home. Can it be done? What are the implications, what should I be wary of if doing this? I own my existing home, have plenty of cash for a down payment or to buy the land, I suppose the land once paid would work for a construction loan down payment? Any help or feedback on this greatly appreciated!!!

EDIT: I just checked, and the city in Oregon I would be building in/near has a Home Depot; there is also a Home Depot here in MN where I live. Not sure where contractors even buy their building materials, but couldn't I coordinate my choice of flooring, siding, roof shingles, faucets, lights, etc. by choosing from my local Home Depot store and then the contractor gets the chosen materials from the target city Home Depot, so we would be 'speaking the same language'?

Joe

This post was edited by Joe88X on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 10:39

Comments (13)