SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaourika_gw

So what's the con of central vacuum systems?

kaourika
14 years ago

Considering putting one of them in the place I'm building. But although I've only heard good things about them, I barely see them being used (I've never known someone who has one). So the cynic in me is insistent that there must be some huge hidden con, haha.

At first I thought they'd be really expensive for sure, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Right?

Then I was envisioning horrible clog scenarios where you'd have to cut open the drywall to unplug the hose, but I hear people say they've had a system for like 20 years or whatever and it's never clogged once(but still, would would you do if it DID?).

And THEN I read that the system is always on "standby" so now I'm afraid it will use a ton of energy. How much? My house is going to be off the grid so it may not be able to support many constantly running standby systems.

How do you plumb these things? Can you have inlets coming from the floor instead of wall? I would need to, since my walls are strawbales.

When one inlet is sucking, wouldn't the other inlets in the house be trying to suck too? I'm imagining they'd make that whooshing/squealing sound that a vacuum makes when it's trying to suck but the hose is blocked.

Also. I was especially interested in those "vacpan" inlets, where you sweep into a floor level inlet as if it was a dustpan and it just sucks it up. But I found a video of one in action and it seemed slow to suck stuff up, and very loud. I'm really interested if anybody here has one of that style of inlet and can provide testimonial.

Comments (21)