SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reinette_gw

do i need mua in 1930's home without hvac

reinette
9 years ago

My DH and I are embarking on a kitchen remodel. I have the layout configured and all the appliances chosen accept for the range vent. I've been lurking on garden web for a few months and you've all provided valuable information on just about every question/concern I've encountered without me chiming in. And thank you for that, but now I'm curious to get some opinions about whether or not I need make up air in my situation.

At this point I'm considering a 600CFM or 1200CFM vent insert from various vendors (Zephyr, Kobe, Imperial, Prestige, etc.) or if money allows a beautiful wall mounted hood from Modern-Aire but I digress. I understand the need for MUA and am willing to have a damper like the Zephyr MUA0010A installed. My question is do I need one?

Here's my somewhat unique situation. I live in a house built in 1930 with a 2nd story addition added in the '90s. I don't have an HVAC system. I have hot water heat and a swamp cooler a.k.a. a boiler and a large hole in my roof and plenty of air leaks under doors and windows. I also have a wood burning f.p. So,

a) Is my leaky house enough to provide the Make up air needed for my range vent?

b) If its not enough, since I don't have forced air, where would a damper go?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Comments (7)