SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmc_in_sf

Bill and Mongo- I messed up laying the tile. Help, please!

cmc_in_sf
14 years ago

A couple of months ago, I laid 2x2 mosaic tile (on mesh) in the shower over the concrete pan. After being sick (flu and pneumonia) for over 2 months, I finally got around to check on it and and found to my horror that most of the tiles were loose and lifting out of the mesh. So, I ended up tearing it all out and scraped most of the mortar out, but my husband said I should chisel it ALL off. When I tried to do that, there wasn't much I could chisel off. My question is, should I try to get all the mortar off or is leaving a thin layer (whatever I can't scrape off) okay? I think I scraped all the potential loose stuff off, but my husband thinks that if it's not all chiseled off, when I lay the tile again, the hold will be weak. He says that even if it seems to be in there good, it will eventually loosen again. At this point, I'm not sure what I should do. I can't seem to chisel anything off without chipping the concrete. I also can barely lift the sledge hammer he gave me, and beside that I can't help think I'm going to make a big mess of the shower pan. Any advice on how to proceed? Should I somehow try and get all the mortar out (if so, how) or is it fine the way it is now to lay the tiles in again? Also, what are some of the possible reasons the tiles didn't hold? As always, much appreciation for your wisdom.

-Chris

Comments (9)