SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aewood_gw

Bank Underwriter Causing Problems

aewood
16 years ago

We have been planning for about a year now and are getting ready to start our build at the end of this month. We are a self build, my husband is the GC and going to be doing most of the work (with help along the way from family and friends). Anyway, we went with a local bank and were extremely happy with them until our loan went into underwriting last week. The woman doing the underwriting for our construction loan seems to be confused about the fact that we won't have any subs. We have been going back and forth for just over a week now with her asking us for our labor estimates. We keep explaining to her that there IS NO LABOR COST therefore no labor estimate... She then replied with "Well then I need the material estimates to come from your subs." THERE ARE NO SUBS! Which then leads to her saying "I can't just take what you think you are going to spend as an estimate". Now, our estimates (which we provided copies of)were from the lumber yard. They were detailed descriptions of items, quantities and prices... This was NOT just a "hey I think I'm going to spend x amount of money and build a house". She also keeps bringing up our well estimate as being an issue. We were quoted $35/ft. but OBVIOUSLY will not know how deep the well will be until they start drilling! We budgeted for 100 feet (the deepest any neighbor has had to go) plus left an allowence for the pump and pressure tank. The water line and electric are in the plumbing/electric budgets. She wants an EXACT price of what the well is going to cost, and we can't seem to explain to her enough that it is not possible to give an exact cost until the well has been drilled!!!! The bank is well aware of the fact that this is a SELF BUILD with no subs, that is one of the reasons why we chose them. We are pretty sure that this particular woman just has not dealt with self build construction loans before and is having a difficult time thinking "outside of the box".

Any suggestions on how to prevent her from delaying our closing (which she has already done by at least a week by now)?

Thanks for reading this far!

Comments (14)