SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ash6181

First Floor Plan Review

ash6181
11 years ago

We're getting closer to finalizing our plans. Please take a look at the current first floor plan and let me know what you think. A few things to note:

Next to the front door there is an area labeled "library." This used to be a powder room. However, we decided we probably didn't need two powder rooms on the first floor (the other is off the mudroom/kitchen). Was getting rid of the powder room a mistake? I don't really want to keep the library, but I'm not sure what to do with that space. The only idea I've come up with is to convert that area to a storage space accessed from the garage. Ideas?

Yes, the master closet is very large. Part of the reason is that we need to have a gun safe in the closet (husband is in law enforcement). We'll also use the space as a dressing area since we're sometimes on different schedules and don't want to wake each other up while we get ready. I also plan to wrap gifts in there on the island and that sort of thing.

The laundry room opening to the master closet which opens to the bathroom is designed for convenience for doing and putting away laundry. Also, my husband sometimes comes home covered in disgusting things (work related) and it will be nice for him to be able to go to the laundry room, strip, and put his clothes in the wash before going straight to the bathroom shower.

Having a large pantry is important to me because I love to cook, I cook mostly from scratch, and I also have a lot of serving dishes, cake stands, china, etc. to store.

The rooms are arranged as they are because we are trying to take advantage of the view of the lake that is to the right of the house as pictured, and another decent view to the rear.

We both have cars and my husband has a work vehicle. We have to store cars inside according to HOA rules, so we need the 3 car garage.

I wonder if the master bathroom shower is deep enough? (3'6") has anyone had that depth for a shower, and if so, what were your thoughts?

Right now it's just my husband and me and a pack of dogs. We probably won't have children. If we do, my plan would be to convert the office to a nursery until I felt comfortable moving the child to a bedroom on another floor.

I would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. Thanks in advance.

Ashley

Comments (8)