SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Any builders willing to answer a few ?'s

16 years ago

A little background first.

My DH has been transferred five times in the last fifteen years. If the pattern continues, he will most likely be relocated this year. My children are older now and don't want to switch schools again. I've come up with a plan (uh-oh).

We would sell our current home, buy DH a small,cheap townhouse in the new location and we would build a new home in the same small town where we now live. DH would come home on weekends. We are usually relocated within a 3-4 hour drive.

The only way that I can figure to make this work, is that the new house would have to be much less than our current house, which we built 2.5 years ago, in order to afford both homes.

I was hoping that we could find a builder who would build to the finished drywall stage and we would finish ourselves. Either doing the work ourselves or hiring it out.

My questions, finally...

Do builders do this? Will I have trouble finding a reputable builder who will only build to the drywall stage? Would banks loan to us? I know this is a hated question, but what could we expect to pay per square foot to finish just to the drywall stage?

The house I would like would be a farmhouse style (front porch, no dormers, simple gabled roof).Still looking for a plan. Stone (or cultured stone) foundation, hardiplank lap and shingle siding, standing seam metal roof (to mimic copper). Lots of good quality windows and doors. Three car garage with carriage style wood doors. Unfinished, walk out basement (back or side).I think I covered everything that could change the price of the exterior of the house. We are in Central, Va.

I've been working on the interior, which is just a matter of finding things on the internet and adding them up!

Here's an exterior from the Garrell website, which I love the style and materials of, but not the roof lines.

{{gwi:1436537}}

So, excluding everything in the interior beyond the drywall, stage, how much would you think it would cost to build with these exterior materials per square foot?

Anyone???

Comments (9)