SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threeshebabes

Owner Builder Survey - Just a few quick questions!?!

threeshebabes
14 years ago

Hi there - I have been researching the concept of owner-building off & on for several years now. My husband and I would like to build a home and recently had a builder completely price a home for us (using plans)- as we had heard now was a great time to build because of the lowered material & labor costs, etc. But we were not impressed with the price at all -- did not seem like a good deal (especially considering the current market and the fact that building homes in our area has come to a grinding halt!) Anyway - my husband's thought is that he believes that owner-builders ALWAYS have extensive construction experience and that "regular" people not experienced with construction really don't venture into such a task. I have read The Owner Builder Book and Be Your Own General Contractor, etc. and countless articles....but my question is: Of those of you who have owner-built recently, would you respond briefly and answer all (or some) of these questions for me? Did you or your spouse have construction experience before you built? Did you hire a general contractor to act as a consultant? Were there any MAJOR problems/mess-ups? How difficult was it to secure financing? Where did you build? Approx. what size home did you build? Did you feel you saved a tremendous amount of money -- i.e.enough to make it worth it? I know I am asking a lot...but couldn't find a similar "survey" on the forum. I don't need a lot of detail (unless you want to share it!) -- but rather just a quick snapshot of your situation, such as: some building experience, no GC hired, no major problems, 3000 SF home built in NC, etc.) If you have a picture of your home that you can easily attach, please do! Thank you so much!!

Comments (11)