SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

Poll...1 or 2 sinks

kahlanne
14 years ago

Will you all chime in on whether you would prefer two sinks or one sink and more vanity countertop space in a master bathroom? Currently we have two sinks in a 60" vanity but we are removing the old top and replacing with granite. I am considering having one sink with lots of countertop to the side. Dh and I seldom use both sinks at the same time anyway but it is an option. Opinion? Thanks.

Comments (37)

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

From watching HGTV and the show "House Hunters", I would go with 2, as that is what most the "Hunters" are looking for there.
    2 of our 3 baths have double sinks, and when we remodel the master bath, I am going to Angle each of the Vanity sections and have a sink in each.
    Just my preference and at least according to those looking on House Hunters, I would expect better resale value.

Gary

• trudymom
    14 years ago

I agree with dodge1959. We put 2 in mainly for resale.

• Related Discussions

Looking for 1-1/2 grainte sink with half sink on left

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Badgergal, thanks for bringing that to my attention. And the Performa Medium 1-3/4 looks good too (maybe even better)! I never noticed before. The website says it's new. Oh... it does look reversible! I'm not 100% sure though that the drain locations are in the center front to back by looking at the image. I called Blanco (during biz hours), but it went straight to VM. Left my number and hopefully I will be able to confirm with a rep. Again, thank you so much!
    ...See More

Can I replace 32 1/2 inch double sink with 31 1/2 single? Options?

Q

Comments (6)
    This is what that sink is going to look like: Your reveal will be off a tad too. Small tradeoff.
    ...See More

What size sinks can I place in a 48”. cabinet with 2 sinks?

Q

Comments (3)
    Agree. i would put 2 sinks in a six foot vanity minimum. i like my counterspace.
    ...See More

2 faucets in 45" kitchen sink?

Q

Comments (16)
    Typically, I prefer engaging in detailed discussions with my customers prior to offering any recommendations. However, in this case, I would like to suggest considering the Waterstone extended reach faucet. This faucet provides an impressive 11" reach in its standard "home" position, making it perfectly equipped to accommodate sinks up to 54" long. Furthermore, Waterstone products come with a lifetime functional warranty and are proudly manufactured entirely in the USA. This assures both the quality and longevity of their products. They are much more expensive than most common brands, but you would only have to invest in one with all of the benefits offered exclusively by Waterstone.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    14 years ago

I guess you need to answer the question how long are you staying in that house? It sounds like you would like the counterspace and one sink.

Honestly, if that is what I wanted and was going to sell after five years, and then a realtor came in and said two sinks are standard for resale here, after five years I would go to the homecenter and get an inexpensive two sink cultured marble top. Or store the old one in the basement and put it back on.

• User
    14 years ago

Palimpsest has an interesting suggestion, but to me, it doesn't make sense to invest into the same type of update twice especially because there are already other costs involved when preparing for sale. I realize counter space is a premium, but there are so many ways to create additional storage space that I would look at feasible alternatives to counter space and install 2 sinks.

• turtleshope
    14 years ago

I would tend to the two sinks, if you are thinking resale and that's what people want. Also, you may find if you have the counter space it will accumulate clutter.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

Our original master bath had a 70" long vanity with two sinks. I'm sure sometime in 28 years both were used at the same time but I can't remember it :o But most of these 28 years DH has used the other bathroom so it's been either just me or our daughter and me. For the remodel, I shortened the vanity a little so I could widen the tub and just installed one sink. We built this house 28 years ago and have no plans on ever selling. For our needs and wants, it was a good decision to just do one sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Sink Vanity

• igloochic
    14 years ago

2 sinks in a master, always. It's both a resale issue and a use issue. Do you want shaving cream by your sink? Does he want perfume? It's nice to have your own space. With a 60" counter you have plenty of room for two with a nice storage cabinet between the two to store your stuff so it's not cluttered but you have access to what you need.

Or do a large trough sink with two faucets.

• helenab
    14 years ago

I am considering having one long sink with two faucets for a vanity that will be less than 60 inches.

• ncamy
    14 years ago

I'm actually having the same dilemma. Our bathroom will be on the large side (13 by 17) but I think having two sinks is such a waste. DH shaves in the shower and I will have my own 5 X 5 makeup and hair fixing "nook" so why would we ever need two sinks just to brush our teeth??? I just don't want it to look unbalanced or dinky.

• just_julie
    14 years ago

We currently have an 84in vanity with 2 sinks. When we renovate, we are leaving the wall plumbing for the 2nd sink but installing a single large sink. There will be 90 inches of vanity in the new layout.

Losing one of the sinks will give us room for installation of an in-wall stereo/cd/ipod system and possibly a flat screen tv.

In regards to resale, if someone doesn't want my house just because there isn't 2 sinks in the master, they don't deserve my house. :) If -that- is the deal breaker, I will seriously LOL.

I say do what you want to do. -especially- if you have no plans on moving in the next 10 years or so. 10 years seems to be the time that any seller won't like what you've done and rip it all out anyway.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Totally depends on what you want and your motivation for wanting it.

If your spouse's hygiene (or lack thereof) turns you off, then go for his and hers sinks. But I know people that went with two sinks to get the spouse's uncleanliness out of their shared sink, but then it bothered them anyway so they clean two sinks instead of one.

Same with a trough sink. Will half of it clean and half of it dirty bother you or satisfy you that at least your half is clean?

For resale? Definitely two sinks unless two will look cramped and cluttered and not meet code. One spacious sink evokes thoughts that with a minor remodel two sinks can be pulled off. Two cramped sinks evokes...a cramped master bath.

I could have had anything in my bathroom, as my bathroom is very large. I actually designed for two sinks. My wife insisted on one, so I redesigned the cabinets for one.

I have no intentions of moving. And I intend on staying married. Easy choice for me!

If you go with one sink now but think down the road you might add another for resale, just keep that in mind when you design and decorate this time around.

A couple of things to think about:

1) If you center your single sink on a long countertop, you'll likely need a new countertop when you add the second sink so that the new layout can be balancd.

2) If you lay out the single sink as if there were two sinks, then when it comes time to add it, all you need to do is pop another hole in the countertop and drop in the second sink. Undersink plumbing modifications will be minor.

3) Any changes in undersink plumbing are easier to do in an open cabinet than they are to do in a cabinet that holds a stack of drawers.

4) If you need to change out the countertop, what else will be affected? Is the countertop captured on the sides by walls or other cabinets, making it more difficult to remove? How will the backsplash be affected? If it's a tiled or stone backsplash?

Etc, etc.

Mongo

• kitchenredo2
    14 years ago

We did 2 sinks and 2 vanities. I told the architect I wanted a vanity with two sinks, but b/c of the layout of the bathroom my DH and I each have our own vanities/sinks on different walls.

We aren't in the bathroom yet, but I am looking forward to having my own space out of reach of my DH. He's a great husband, just not the neatest to share a sink with.....

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

We actually need 3 sinks. The wife fills mine up with water so the can can drink out of it---not the handiest thing (basin full of water with cat Lappin' away), when your mouth is full of toothpaste¿

Gary

• dietcokejunkee
    14 years ago

1 sink.

We live in a small cozy house with one full bath. With three teen girls, we need the counter space! My husband is very tidy and uses an electric razor, so no shaving cream. Just toothpaste and girl goo to clean up.

I am currently starting to remodel said bath and after a little debate, we agreed counter space is more important for us than 2 sinks. Not at all concerned about resale. Don't worry about it. Get what works for YOU!

• flyinghigh
    14 years ago

my vote is for 2. Over 20 years of marriage, we've tried both scenarios in many different houses. For us, two is best - but that's us... If you are considering selling your house soon, it's a no-brainer - 2. If you aren't, then this becomes a personal decision...

• dietcokejunkee
    14 years ago

found some inspirational bath photos with both 1 and 2 sinks. Neither seems to dominate.

http://inspirationfordecoration.blogspot.com/search/label/bathroom

Good luck with your decisions! Do what you love, not based on what may or may not better for "resale", because we don't all agree what is best. It's what's best for you. I say more counterspace!

Here is a link that might be useful: inspiration for decoration blog

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I say go with what YOU want and will work for you. if you have the counter space and the plumbing is underneath you can pop another sink in if you decide to move soon.

i'm putting in 1 sink. but it's just me and i don't plan to ever move again. i thought about 2 then decided i'd rather have a bank of drawers on either side of a single sink. more places to put my stuff (hair stuff, make up, hair dryer etc).

the drawers are more important to me.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

We went with one in our tiny master bath. My husband uses that one and I use the adjoining guest bathroom off the hallway. So we each have our own bathroom.

• plants4
    14 years ago

One sink. Who wants to use a sink next to someone else using a sink? If the issue is whose stuff is near the sink, that's easily addressed through storage. Do you really want to see all that stuff on the counter anyway?

• lee676
    14 years ago

I hear it alot:

"Put in two sinks. It will help resale value"

I ask if they or anyone else they know uses both sinks at the same time.

"No"

"So why would home buyers want two sinks?"

"so they can sell the house when they eventually move out"

I don't get it.

The extra space from a large vanity top surface is much more useful. If need be I can wait 15 seconds for someone to finish washing their hands, or just share the single faucet. I've done it, it's not that hard. Two sinks is a waste IMO.

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

After the millionth time I had to practically swallow toothpaste to avoid spitting it on DH's head while he was trying to use the sink to brush his teeth at the same time, we put two into our bathroom. It's the only bathroom upstairs too so I assume at some point kids will be trying to use it too. Why he decides he needs to brush his teeth when I am trying to get ready is beyond me. Of course this was before we had a baby and now one of us is usually watching the baby so it's not an issue anymore ;)

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

One sink. We have two right now. But, neither me nor my spouse likes to use the bathroom when it is in use by anyone else. So, my husband uses the hall bathroom exclusively and I use the master suite's bathroom exclusively. His stuff and his clutter in his bathroom and my stuff in mine. No complaints about being a clean freak or being sloppy from each other :)
    No way would I waste so much counter space on 2 sinks. I am sure that there are other outstanding features in my home (or bathroom for that matter) so that this issue will not be a deal breaker come selling time.

• skatermom
    14 years ago

I had the same question...and I am leaning towards one...I think it really depends on the layout b/c our other house the master bath was really long and narrow and it owuld have looked funny not two have two, but our new house just seems to ask for one....glad to know I am not the only one out there.

• sawmill
    14 years ago

We are using the bathroom in our guest suite that has one sink while we remodel the master bath which has 2 sinks.
    Since we relocated last week, we are enjoying our new cozy space and often get ready at the same time. That said, having one sink is not nearly so challenging as having a reduction in counter space and electrical outlets simultaneously.

So, suit yourself and your living habits and enjoy your life with no worries - the future takes care of itself in time.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

We remodeled last year and went with a single Master sink again. 25 years ago it was a large Kohler Ellipse.... this time the Kohler Man's Lav.

Our countertop is close to 12'..... I love having the open countertop and wouldn't want a second sink in our particular space.... it makes sense for us and for this bathroom.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

>>we are enjoying our new cozy spaceannaleef, let us know if you still feel the same coziness in a in a few weeks (g)
    gbsim, beautiful bathroom! What's the name of your granite? I love the sink too. I'd like to put that in my husband's bathroom if he EVER decides to remodel it. It's the only room in the house that hasn't been updated and he says he likes it just the way it is :o
    Monica

• skatermom
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pics...I love that sink!

• thisishishouse
    14 years ago

Sounds like you know your answer already. You seldom use 2 sinks, and you need more counter space. Go with the largest single bowl you can find. Another thing to consider is that you've only got 60" to work with. That's a small area for 2 bowls.

Forget the resale nonsense. Anyone who buys a house will want to change something anyways. Why should you pay for the next person's remodel? Do what works best for you.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Thanks Monica. I'm not sure of the name of the granite... the slab place called it Athena, but I've not found another reference to Athena anywhere else. It's the perfect blend with the Kohler Sandbar color.

I highly recommend the Kohler Man's Lav, it's big and different but in a classic way that I don't think will go out of style anytime soon.

• mary26w
    14 years ago

Do you and DH both work outside the home? Or do you anticipate selling your home to a dual career couple? Anyone who has ever struggled to get up, dressed and out before 7 or 8 am -- and there's another person on the same schedule -- must have dual sinks.

• dominiquesdecor
    14 years ago

2 Sinks!!! Cool bathroom.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

Do you and DH both work outside the home? Or do you anticipate selling your home to a dual career couple? Anyone who has ever struggled to get up, dressed and out before 7 or 8 am -- and there's another person on the same schedule -- must have dual sinks.

In that case I'd find two toilets more useful than two sinks...

We put two sinks in our 84" vanity, but in 60" I'd probably put just one, for counterspace. Dh is neater than I am and it wouldn't bother us to share.

• thisishishouse
    14 years ago

In that case I'd find two toilets more useful than two sinks...

In which case, you should put in a TwoDaLoo

{{gwi:1437292}}

• just_julie
    14 years ago

I posted earlier in this thread. Although we are still going with a single large sink, we are installing 2 mirrors so 2 people can primp at the same time. This wasn't in the plan until a week ago when I had an early appointment and we were both in there at the same time.

I still prefer the extra counter space and we don't have a problem using the same sink at the same time.

• skatermom
    14 years ago

just julie, are putting the sink in the middle of the counter or on the side?

• just_julie
    14 years ago

On the left side, like gbsim's pics. Right now, the sink on my side is used as a storage bin. We -do- get ready at the same time, we just never use sinks at the same time.

We've changed the plan a little since I last posted, the vanity will be 72 inches, not 90. I hope to find a very large, 24 inch undermount sink.

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

I'm going with one sink, I like to have more counter space. However don't overlook the need for more mirror space. I opted for one medicine cabinet to the side with mirror and 1 medicine cabinet over the sink, and one makeup mirror that will attache to the wall. I am hoping that limited mirror real-estate doesn't become an issue. I am already working on plan b.