SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnegirl26

Grout that won't come clean

LynneGirl26
17 years ago

My lease for my apartment ends at the end of December (yay!) and to get my deposit back I need to leave the apartment clean and tidy.

I happen to be a very clean person so this isn't usually an issue except I cannot get the grout in tilework that surrounds the tub clean. Mold and mildew have run rampent and it looks sooo gross.

I've tried tilex, simple green, and several other cleaning products. I've tried a few homemade grout cleaning recipes. I borrowed a friends steam cleaner and spent an hour trying to clean it.

Last week I hired a cleaning company to clean the bathroom(my boyfriend supervised while I was at work). I came home to find a fresh-smelling, amazing clean bathroom...except for the mold and mildew in the tub area.

I don't know what to do. My neighbour moved out last month and she lost a chunk of his deposit because she had the same problem.

It's not really about the money. Mostly I'm just relieved to be moving out but I'm annoyed that I'll be penalized for something I can't control and the management here has been so awful that I don't want to give them any reason to gloat. It isn't like I haven't tried to get rid of it.

Does anyone have any ideas? The grout was fairly clean when I moved in but I'm not sure what they did to clean it. Parts of the grout look like something has been "painted" into the grout line.

Comments (13)