SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehoops_gw

Just as things started to look up (pic)....

ehoops
16 years ago

I've posted our saga before. We've been in a trailer 20 months trying to build our house. Contractor walked, left subs unpaid, etc... Due to contractor change and current economy, bank made us jump through major hoops to keep the funding coming. Town where we live put a stop work on our house due to numerous correction notices not been addressed by former contractor. Major problem being former contractor poured foundation concrete before structural engineer visually reviewed and signed of that appropriate amount of steel rebar was there. Therefore SE wouldn't sign off, had to drill steel plates on the external walls of the interior foundation to satisfy SE to sign off.

So, after 7 months of that, the good news was that the bank finally gave us a draw 2 weeks ago. The steel work was completed Monday and we were all excited to get the rough plumbing/electrical inspection this week. The contractor called for the inspections and was told that there are still problems. The Demo Permit expired (Demo was done in Jan 2007, contractor never had it signed off). They may have to re-issue the permit and we may have to pay the fees again. Not a huge deal but again more time and money. Then we find out that the garage (detached with own permit) has only had one inspection (the cement floor which I called for after the former contractor was no longer on the job). The foundation, framing, roof nailing, etc.... was never inspected. We're waiting to see how the Town decides to handle it but we were told they could force us to tear it down. I don't think it will come to this but with the way things have gone with this house, you never know...

Finally, we had sub contractors that were hired by the former contractor to do the soffiting under the eaves. They did the soffiting up to the point they had to stop so they didn't cover up any electrical for inspection and were paid 6,000 for the work completed. That was way back when former contractor was on the job. Current contractor called for a meeting with them 2 weeks ago to get a new bid for the remainder of the porch/trim work. They showed him a contract they had with the former contractor and it was much higher than the other bids the current contractor got. They also said they were owed money. Current contractor checked with former contrator who said they were paid up and not owed any money. They became very upset and basically tried to blackmail us by saying we either hired them or paid them 7,000 and then we could hire anyone we want to. They started to show up on the property to pressure me, finally had to call the police. Contractor and I had big heated meeting with them a few weeks ago and told them to stay off the property, there was no way they would be hired to complete the porch work and they were not getting any additional money. Yesterday I received a letter via certified mail from them (not an attorney) saying that they will file a lien if we don't pay them 7,000 in 15 days. Wouldn't be a huge deal because we truly don't think they have a leg to stand on but.... Our bank is now requiring a copy of title before every draw and if there are ANY liens on the property, they won't pay. So, our contractor got 2 bids this morning for the soffiting work that has been done. One was 2,800 and the other was 3,400. So esentially the original subs were already paid 6,000 and now are demanding an ADDITIONAL 7,000 for a job that should have only cost us between 2-4,000. Time to get the attorney involved AGAIN. My husband and I keep asking, "Will it ever stop????"

Picture of soffiting

Comments (11)