SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swest2_gw

Christmas in August. Just had to tell someone....

swest2_gw
12 years ago

Long time lurker, second time poster.

I was meeting a friend for breakfast this morning. I mentioned to her that I had seen an estate sale sign and asked if she would like to go with me and she said she would.

When asked if I found anything I would like to buy, I said yes, this house. However, the house (which was absolutely brillant) had already sold and sold in 3 days!

I did see some Spode Christmas tree dishware so I bought:

2 candleholders

19 dinner plates

7 bowls

1 large platter

10 salad plates

4 canape plates

1 small serving plate

4 butter pats

4 dipping plates

4 smaller bowls

26 cups

27 saucers

1 tea pot

And I paid ...what for it.... $150. When I went to move my truck closer, my friend got 3 offers for the dishes. Then when I told my other friend she offered to buy half for $75. (They threw in a beautiful table cloth and when I emptied the boxes there were four needlepoint chair covers. Like Christmas presents!)

My mother-in-law had a set and I knew they were pricey, so I checked the replacement value and found it to be approximately $1,700.

If you think I made a good deal, please let me know. And if you think the replacement value is a little high, I'd appreciate knowing that also.

This was one of my better finds.

-----------------------------------

And this was my best find of all.

A couple of years ago I did get service for 12 of Fitz and Floyd dinnerware called "Santa's List" for $15. I had seen it at the GW store for $30 and liked it but I have a lot of Christmas dishware so I passed. There was an ad the next day in the paper that GW was having half off day so I went back (with my same friend) and bought it for $15 and I am so glad I did. However, when I went to pay for it they brought the rest of the set out and I ended up with service for 24!! (I checked and replacement value for one dinner plate is $59.99) Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year and enjoy switching out my dishes.

I have concluded my friend is my lucky charm. Ha, ha!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions